Three teenage girls facing their demons together and coming out of the situation better than they were before, We Used to be Girl Scouts is another one of those stories, and is as in-keeping and similar as so many that have come before. Emery Schaffer’s play is well-written and imagined, it’s just that this production feels unremarkable as we wander through the woods looking for a way out (at least I was!).

The three-strong cast all gave good performances, most notably in Trystan Youngjohn playing Drew, a troubled teen who may or may not be pregnant and gives this as much unfiltered emotion as you might expect, in an exceptionally-showstopping performance with so much heart, and her hysterical laughter near the tail end of the show is as gripping as it is maniacal. Hannah-Mae Engstrom’s Mary is a heartfelt and vulnerable character, who’s abuse at home clouds her character and is told eloquently through body language and passionate dialogue, with a clear hurt tone shining throughout. Samuela Noumtchuet characterises Sasha well, her star-crossed lover storyline feeling only slightly tedious as she battles for Drew’s attention, with their eventual kiss cute but overshadowed by the inevitable kissing-and-making-up that we all knew was coming but hoped for something more exciting.

The cast of ‘We Used to be Girl Scouts’. From left to right ~ Trystan Youngjohn as Drew, Hannah-Mae Engstrom as Mary & Samuela Noumtchuet as Sasha. Image Credit: Hey Thanks! Theatre Collective

The use of sound enhances the experience, with some truly hysterical effects used with flawless timing, and the simple transition of set from three graffitied poles to trees is done very well, even if the transition and montage-esque performance during said scene transition is too long and should be accompanied by the theme from Rocky. The use of light to separate and enhance internal monologues is stunningly well achieved and their inclusion gives necessary exposition that could have been built into the story on occasion, but were quite fine as they were, although occurring a little too much in the first half of the play.

“It is better than the alternative” proclaims one of the girls as the group arrive in the woods. And if the alternative is not seeing an Edinburgh Fringe show, then I wholeheartedly agree. Otherwise, there may be competition. This show is not bad, but it is unremarkable. The story is portrayed well, but as a story we’ve seen in every incarnation many times, only so much can be done with it. Schaffer’s writing is eloquent and Engstrom, Noumtchuet and particularly Youngjohn’s delivery is good, but it is a production that feels in-keeping with what has come before and struggles to break the mould and tell a truly unique story.

“Peace out Girl Scouts, time to go”

Rating: ★★★☆☆

We Used to be Girl Scouts is playing at theSpace on the Mile until August 24th

Image Credit: Hey Thanks! Theatre Collective