Sheffield Theatres have announced casting for their upcoming production of A Doll’s House, set to arrive in the Crucible next month. The staging of Henrik’s Ibsen’s drama marks the reunion of director Elin Schofield and Chris Bush, who previously collaborated on a range of productions, including the Olivier Award-winning musical Standing at the Sky’s Edge.

Tom Glenister returns to the Crucible after his role in Chariots of Fire earlier this year to play Torvold, one of the play’s main characters, determined on upholding the traditional roles within his marriage, whilst all other cast members are set to make their Sheffield Theatres debuts with this production. Aaron Anthony joins the cast as Dr Rank, a friend to Torvold and his wife Nora, played by Siena Kelly. Joining them is Eben Figueiredo as the unscrupulous Krogstad, Melissa Lowe as Anna/Pianist, and Eleanor Sutton as Christina.

The cast of Sheffield Theatres’ ‘A Doll’s House’ (from left to right). Top ~ Tom Glenister as Torvold, Aaron Anthony as Dr Rank, & Siena Kelly as Nora. Bottom ~ Eben Figueiredo as Krogstad, Melissa Lowe as Anna/Pianist, & Eleanor Sutton as Christina. Image Credit: Sheffield Theatres

Widely described as a seminal work, Ibsen’s A Doll’s House challenges societal expectations and the rigid gender roles of the 19th century as wife and mother Nora has her life turned upside-down when secrets come to light that some wish had remained hidden. First performed in Denmark in 1879, several productions and adaptations have run in Britain, most notable being the cancelled 2020 Jamie Lloyd West End production starring Jessica Chastain, which eventually opened on Broadway in 2023, where it was open for a matter of months.

Joining Schofield and Bush in creating this show are Assistant Director Yanni Ng, Designer Chiara Stephenson, Movement Director Ahmed Hamad, Lighting Designer Richard Howell and Sound Designer Tingying Dong. Casting was led by Casting Director Bryony Jarvis-Taylor and Anna McSweeney joins the company as Vocal Coach. The production has been composed by Nicola T Chang.

With just over one month until previews for Sheffield Theatres’ production of A Doll’s House begin, yesterday’s casting announcement has further fuelled excitement and anticipation for the latest Sheffield Theatres-produced show to grace the Crucible stage. With a mix of new and returning faces, this production is shaping up to be the latest fresh and ambitious play to be staged in the Steel City for Ibsen fans and new audiences alike.

A Doll’s House is playing at the Crucible from September 21st until October 12th

Image Credit: Sheffield Theatres