The Sheffield University Performing Arts Society (SUPAS) production Be More Chill is in further turmoil after the group have still been unable to secure a Musical Director for the production. Following weeks of recruitment drives and reopening and extending applications no less than three times, the group have resorted to an unusual strategy in order to try and fulfil this essential role.

Taking to social media yesterday, the performance society said: “Calling all our vocalists and conductors!!!! Fancy your hand at a SUPAS show but don’t want the whole role??? How about applying for half of it! Head to our Facebook @supasupdates for all the info!!!”. The post also contained information about the two sub-roles now on offer for Be More Chill, namely Vocal Coach and Band Leader.

If found, the show’s Vocal Coach would be responsible for singing rehearsals, teaching solo and harmony singing, and working with the Band Leader on audition materials. Alternatively, the Band Leader is charged with leading band rehearsals, arranging band materials, conducting the company during the show, and working with the Vocal Coach on audition pieces. Each role is pitched to those who may be hesitant at some elements of the opposite role, which may be remedied by their split, as well as those who may be concerned about time constraints of a full SUPAS production team role.

This development is significant for SUPAS and represents the considerable challenge the group are now facing. Splitting such a major production role is unheard of for the performing arts society, which usually has little issues securing team members. In contrast, their full-scale semester 1 show Amélie has already moved on to recruiting assistant production team roles, whilst Be More Chill has yet to get off of the ground.

It also presents a very significant danger to the future of the entire Be More Chill production. All of the responsibilities attributed to the newly created Vocal Coach and Band Leader roles are usually the remit of the Musical Director, one of the core roles on a SUPAS production team. Many of these responsibilities, such as leading band rehearsals, teaching solo and company singing, and conducting the entire company during the show, are essential functions to ensure the production is able to go ahead.

Image Credit: SUPAS

Whilst it hasn’t been confirmed, it is highly likely that if a Musical Director, or its constituent parts Vocal Coach and Band Leader, are not found swiftly, the small-scale Be More Chill may be unviable. Whilst applications are open until August 30th, it wouldn’t be unheard of for this deadline to be extended should they not find sufficient applicants. SUPAS could consider allowing Freshers to apply for the roles once they have arrived in September but given this would involve waiting another month entirely to see if applicants come forwards, and less than two months from show week (Week 9, w.c. November 25th), doing so would be a significant gamble for the society.

SUPAS now face a considerable and difficult challenge in the days and weeks ahead, as yet another call to fill the role of Musical Director may be about to go unheard by their members. As time progresses, difficult conversations will be taking place at the top of the society to consider the way forwards, and what the future may hold for Be More Chill, particularly if yet another recruitment call goes unanswered.

Applications for Musical Director of SUPAS’ Be More Chill are open until August 30th. Application packs can be found here

Image Credit: SUPAS