Documenting the remarkable true story of the battle of the WASPI Women (Women Against State Pension Inequality), STUNG is an honest and heartfelt look at the inspirational women who have fought for such reform, which despite being as patchy as their knitted hats when it comes to acting, makes up for it with heart, comedic timing and creativity. Using an inspired blend of in-person performance, recorded video and image presentation, and movement, these authentic women bring their truths to the stage, in an attempt to highlight their continuing injustices.

Opening on a clip of Andrew Gwynne MP grilling the former government, “the longest case of maladministration ever brought to the ombudsmen” plays out before your very eyes for a small collective of genuine WASPIs, brought together by their shared experiences, and brought to us by their collective endeavour to tell it through drama. The charming nature of this production’s cast and the genuine emotion they clearly bring to the piece makes for emotional viewing as each documents their own journeys in the search of justice, the friends lost upon the way, and the countless ministers they’ve had to appeal to over the years. I was particularly captivated at the end of a showreel developing this production, and the audience breaking into applause as the lights slowly came up over the WASPI Women – a powerful image and perfect tribute.

The cast of STUNG. Image Credit: STUNG

Whilst a touching and enlightening performance, it was occasionally difficult to hear what was being said, due to the size of the space and the size of their voices, and levels of acting ability vary significantly. Some scenes are executed flawlessly, whilst others appear as if it is the first time the cast have stumbled across the script. Ability is certainly sacrificed for authenticity, but with subject matter such as this, why not go for realism?

The structure of this show is certainly unique, a sort of hybrid play and presentation that lands at points and struggles at others, having a strange identity crisis, and leading to occasional breakneck changes in pace or subject matter. By changing between scenes, to addressing the audience, to displays of fact or video, often leads to the production feeling as though it is trying to be too many things, and therefore struggling in several areas (and that’s beside from the pre-existing struggles with “emoji, Facetook and Twatter”, in one of my favourite lines from the show).

Nevertheless, STUNG is a hugely important, comedic and enjoyable production, uniquely telling the story of injustice from those who were, and still are, feeling the effects of one of the most shockingly underreported injustices in British history. Whilst having its fair share of challenges, the authenticity brought to the stage cannot be understated. The cast proudly proclaim: “We’re WASPI Women, and we’ve been STUNG”. You watch STUNG, and you’ll support WASPI Women!

Rating: ★★★☆☆

STUNG is playing at the Tanya Moiseiwitsch Playhouse until September 10th 

Image Credit: STUNG