Sheffield Wednesday frustrated by late drama in QPR clash

QPR’s Alfie Lloyd denied Sheffield Wednesday a first win since the opening day of the season with a bundled stoppage time equaliser, in a grandstand finish at Hillsborough this afternoon

Wednesday captain Barry Bannan thought he’d won it after a half volley two minutes into added time, but after a scramble in the Wednesday net QPR drew level just a few minutes later.

In the first half, The Owls were firmly the better team and had the better chances, with the pick of the attempts being from Ike Ugbo after 12 minutes.

The forward dinked his effort slightly over the bar, and although himself and Windass would have further chances throughout the first half, goalless it remained at the break. 

QPR weren’t at the races for much of the first half, but were able to withstand the Wednesday pressure and had their only shot on target of the first half after 42 minutes, when talisman Michael Frey’s shot drew a simple save from Wednesday ‘keeper James Beadle.

Rangers grew into the game in the second half, with forward Michael Frey going closest shortly after half-time, but was unable to add to his impressive goalscoring form so far this season. 

Both managers rang the changes with around fifteen minutes to go, with both teams opting for fresh legs up front in an attempt to break the deadlock. 

The game then looked to be petering out into a scoreless draw before springing into life in added time.

When Bannan fired an acrobatic strike into the top corner of the net, it appeared as if the Owls would win for the first time since the opening day. 

After a scramble in the box just minuter later, however, QPR midfielder Alfie Lloyd turned away his effort into the corner, breaking Wednesday hearts and sending the 1300 away supporters into raptures.

That’s how it finished: Wednesday 1, QPR 1.

In the post-match press conference, QPR manager Marti Cifuentes hailed his team’s ‘amazing resilience’ to come back from behind for the third away game in-a-row. 

The R’s had previously come from behind in games against Sheffield United and Luton before today’s comeback. 

Wednesday head coach Danny Rohl hailed the teams overall performance and said that it was the best since Plymouth. 

Rohl also admitted that conceding from set pieces was becoming a problem. 

Wednesday fail to break a losing run in the league and remain in 20th place, while QPR extend their unbeaten run to six games in all competitions. The R’s stay in 12th. 

Both teams are in midweek action next in the third round of the Carabao Cup, with Sheffield Wednesday travelling to League One Blackpool on Tuesday night, while QPR host London rivals Crystal Palace. 

Final score: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 QPR

GOALS: Bannan (’90+3), Lloyd (’90+6)

Featured image credit: Daniel Bagshaw via Wikimedia Commons

Opinion: How far is too far?

God you just can’t say anything anymore...

Exhibition Review: Recasting Canova

The gift for defeating Europe's shortest military legend fails to reach the heights of other Crawford collections

Sheffield Steelers make history on the European stage

The Sheffield Steelers are expertly representing the UK in the Champions Hockey League with three wins on the bounce for the first time ever.

Review: Love Lasts Forever – Destroy Lonely

One of the frontrunners of Playboi Carti’s Opium record label, Destroy Lonely is back with his highly-anticipated album — LOVE LASTS FOREVER. The album,...

Interview: Millie Manders on the value of musical expression, the creative process and her new album

The most striking thing that comes across when I talk to Millie Manders, of Millie Manders and The Shutup, is the absolutely crucial and...

QPR’s Alfie Lloyd denied Sheffield Wednesday a first win since the opening day of the season after late drama at Hillsborough today.

🔴 Sheffield Wednesday vs QPR: LIVE updates from the EFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host QPR in the EFL Championship.