The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) and Sheffield University Performing Arts Society (SUPAS) have revealed their production audition dates for the forthcoming semester, for budding thespians looking for an on-stage role before the Christmas break. With five unique shows across the two society’s programmes, there is a wide variety of student theatre available for new and returning students to engage with, as many new students prepare to grace Sheffield’s stages.

Taking to social media to announce their auditions, SUTCo released a series of posts detailing their upcoming productions, audition dates and what can be expected for students wishing to put themselves forwards. The series also includes top tips from the group’s committee, many of whom have starred in previous productions themselves. Their semester one programme comprises three shows, two of which are original scripts from members of the group, platforming their own stories in the University of Sheffield Drama Studio. Auditions for all of SUTCo’s upcoming productions take place on September 26th and 27th at 38 Mappin Street from 6pm-9pm, with callbacks following on September 29th at the Drama Studio from 2pm-5:30pm.

SUTCo’s first production is to be staged at the Drama Studio in Week 5, and is the original Your Heart’s Too Open, Close It. Written and directed by Ambrose Robinson, the play focuses on the young Pup finding love again after his previous relationship ends, finding his connection with the mysterious Chao, one of the play’s stagehands, whilst dark forces close in around his newly opened heart.

Week 8 sees SUTCo stage the Oscar Wilde classic The Importance of Being Earnest, at the Library Theatre, at the Sheffield Theatres venue complex. Directed by Amaara Qureshi and assisted by Abby Broido and Emilia Lodge, the classic play follows John Worthing and his alter ego ‘Mr Ernest Worthing’, as well as his friend Algernon doing the same to visit his sick friend ‘Banbury’. But when their scheming ways go too far, their truths may be revealed, whether they wish for the world to know or not.

Wrapping up the semester one programme, and in SUTCo’s final production of the year, Week 10 sees another new script in the form of Andrew Hurrell’s Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker. Co-directed by Hurrell and Abbie Wright, the play centres on Margaret Beaufort, mother of one Henry Tudor, who seeks to get her son on the English throne after the death of Edward IV. Recounting the events of the Buckingham Rebellion to the Battle of Bosworth, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker will be playing at the University of Sheffield Drama Studio.

Switching to SUPAS, the group has two productions during the first semester, both playing at the Drama Studio, in Weeks 9 and 11. The first, with auditions on October 1st and 2nd, and callbacks on October 4th, is their incarnation of Be More Chill. The musical, based on a book by Ned Vizzini, follows Jeremy Heere’s efforts to survive school, leading him to swallow the pill-like nano-computer SQUIP to become cooler, and having to deal with the consequences when the computer takes on a darker form.

Finally, bringing the SUTCo/SUPAS 2024 roster to a close, Week 11 sees SUPAS play Amélie, based on the 2001 romantic comedy film. After growing up alone, Amélie sets out to do anonymous deeds that bring people joy, leading her to find Nino and his photo album, and the push she needs to explore the world for herself. Amélie is also to be staged at the Drama Studio.

With auditions for the five SUTCo and SUPAS productions right around the corner, and a similar announcement of production and audition dates from the University of Sheffield Light Entertainment Society (USLES) expected soon, new and returning students have ample upcoming opportunities to get involved with student theatre of all forms in the new semester. With auditions taking place on multiple days across both groups, students can audition for all upcoming shows, to see themselves on Sheffield’s stages before the end of 2024.

Auditions for upcoming SUTCo and SUPAS productions will be taking place in Freshers Week and Week 1. Further details can be found at @_sutco and @supasshef on Instagram

Image Credit: eventseeker