Sheffield Eagles legend Keith Senior departs

Sheffield Eagles have announced the departure of Assistant Coach Keith Senior, who has left his coaching role with the club following the conclusion of the 2024 season.

Widely regarded as one of the best British centres of all time, he started his playing career at Sheffield Eagles, playing in the first-ever Super League game, between the Eagles and Paris Saint-Germain.

He was also a starter during the club’s 1998 Challenge Cup final victory over Wigan Warriors, giving the club their only major trophy in their history.

He then moved to Leeds Rhinos in 1999, and became part of Super League’s greatest-ever dynasty alongside legends such as Rob Burrow, Kevin Sinfield and Danny Maguire, winning three consecutive Grand Finals.

Keith Senior Sheffield Eagles
Credit: Gerard Barrau

He also represented England and Great Britain 43 times in total, scoring 14 tries.

After over 500 professional appearances, he became Eagles coach in 2015.

His time back in Sheffield saw the club make two 1895 Cup finals at Wembley Stadium, including becoming the first winners of the new-look competition.

In a club statement, the Eagles said: “Keith will be missed by all at the Sheffield Eagles, and we want to wish him the best with his future endeavours.”

Via LinkedIn, Senior said: “A big thank you to the club, fans, backroom staff, and the players that have come through them changing room doors over the years. I hope I have left a mark and didn’t scare you too much with my happy face.

“Most of all, I would like to thank Mark Aston for giving me the opportunity all those years ago, when I was dealing with retirement and stuck in a hole at the time. The chance to test myself challenged me, excited me, gave me sleepless nights, but gave me a new purpose, so I’m forever grateful. But for now, it’s about looking for new adventures and challenges. That is the exciting part. Over and out.”

Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker unveils 7 SUTCo debuts in cast

Composed of returning faces & new students, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker is the first semester one show to announce its cast

African Film Stars to lead Sheffield Theatres’ & Utopia Production

Stars of African media lead the 26-person cast of 'Death and the King's Horseman', the first staging in Sheffield in its history

Comedy Review: Myra Dubois ~ Be Well

Eccentric & fabulous, Myra Dubois' comedy stand-up show is brilliantly comedic gold

Touring Production Review: Heathers

University's begun & it's back to school at Westerberg High, for a high-energy, killer performance

SUTCo begin Semester 1 production Tech Calls

With casting complete, SUTCo begin their search for the technical teams of semester one

Review: Ten Days – Fred again..

Ten Days is, to put it simply, the best piece of work Fred again.. has released since Actual Life 3 (January 1 - September...

Review: The Alexander Technique – Rex Orange County

After a two-year hiatus, and in a tumultuous time personally, Alex O’Connor -  professionally known as Rex Orange County - has returned with his...