Rak-Sakyi nets twice as Sheffield United continue unbeaten start against Luton Town

Sheffield United continued their unbeaten start to the EFL Championship season with a comfortable win over Luton Town on Saturday.

Heading into today’s match, the Blades knew that a four-goal victory would send them to the top of the table.

The hosts started the match the better side, with Jesurun Rak-Sakyi celebrating turning 22 by finding the bottom corner inside 12 minutes after wrestling off a helpless Mark McGuinness. 

Sheffield United took control of the game, with Luton offering little in the way of clear cut chances – a 25 yard shot by German Tom Krauß was the best The Hatters offered in the first half.

In his pre-match press conference, Chris Wilder spoke of channelling vintage football – and the tackles flew in during the first 45 – today’s captain Ollie Arblaster and Vini Souza being cautioned by referee John Brooks. 

United continued to turn the screw towards the end of the first half with Rak-Sakyi, Moore and McCallum testing Luton goalkeeper Thomas Kaminski. United went into the break dominant, and leading 1-0.

Sheffield United began the second half with the same intensity they showed in the first. Birthday boy Rak-Sayki poked the ball wide shortly after the restart, before cutting onto his right foot and drilling a low shot through Kaminski’s legs in the 52nd minute to bag a brace and put Sheffield firmly in the driving seat. 

Rhian Brewster continued to impress; his shot from 25 yards after the goal forced a smart save.

On the stroke of the hour mark, Luton Town introduced Cauley Woodrow and Jacob Brown to enable the Bedfordshire side get something out of the game – the momentum never shifted in their favour, however. 

Luton’s best chance came in the 72nd minute when skipper Jordan Clark shot low, but Michael Cooper saved and got down to his right – as goalkeeper Cooper’s defence extended their run without conceding a goal in the Sky Bet Championship to 548 minutes. In the end, Luton Town were only able to register two shots on target throughout the match.

With 25 minutes left to play, the 27,295 in attendance were on their feet to applaud Jesurun Rak-Sakyi, who departed with Rhian Brewster to make way for Gustavo Hamer and Andre Brooks.

United midfielder Vini Souza caught Clark napping on the edge of the box in the 77th minute, driving towards goal but his shot travelled agonisingly across goal before hitting the outside of the far post. 

Soon after, a lively Callum O’Hare cut in from the left-hand side before seeing his shot deflected wide for a corner. The ensuing corner led to an almighty goalmouth scramble, but Luton eventually managed to clear their lines.

From there, the game largely petered out – the Luton Town onslaught never came. Alfie Doughty had to make sure Cooper was still alert as his cross-come-shot was saved at the near post in the second minute of added time. Full time, 2-0.

Luton boss Rob Edwards will have a long trip down the M1 to figure out where things went wrong for his side today, admitting that the new style adopted for today, which allowed their opposition more of the ball, did not work. The Hatters sit 21st, just one point above the trap door. 

Sheffield United go into the international break in 2nd only on goal difference, extending their unbeaten run in the league. Club captain Jack Robinson made the substitutes’ bench today, returning from an injury which has ruled him out since the 17th of August, but his return to the pitch will have to wait until at least next time out, away at Leeds United. 

Ultimately, it was a comfortable win here at Bramall Lane, with United never really needing to get out of second gear to get past Luton Town.

Final score: Blades 2-0 Luton Town

Unveiling the Untold: Asian Literature Feature

Taking a deep dive into the rich world of Asian literature, we look at some of the best of these stories, & their writers

🔴 Sheffield United Women vs Bristol City: LIVE updates from the FA WSL 2

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker unveils 7 SUTCo debuts in cast

Composed of returning faces & new students, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker is the first semester one show to announce its cast

African Film Stars to lead Sheffield Theatres’ & Utopia Production

Stars of African media lead the 26-person cast of 'Death and the King's Horseman', the first staging in Sheffield in its history

Comedy Review: Myra Dubois ~ Be Well

Eccentric & fabulous, Myra Dubois' comedy stand-up show is brilliantly comedic gold

Touring Production Review: Heathers

University's begun & it's back to school at Westerberg High, for a high-energy, killer performance