A Short Guide to Yorkshire/Sheffield in Film

If you’re a resident of Sheffield, you may have become accustomed to wandering aimlessly through the city centre, haunted by the fear-inducing Threads, or sitting at Bramall Lane daydreaming about Sean Bean scoring a game-winning penalty, or even driving past Shiregreen Working Men’s Club and thinking about becoming an amateur male stripper. But for those who aren’t overly familiar with Sheffield and Yorkshire’s cinematic history, here’s a quick guide to some of the finest to hail from the Steel City and God’s own country.

1. Kes (1969) dir. Ken Loach

image credit: showroom

Though filmed and set in Barnsley, not Sheffield (though the Steel City does get a mention in a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it line of dialogue), Ken Loach’s Kes (adapted from Barry Hines’ A Kestrel for a Knave) is possibly the most recognisable and celebrated Yorkshire film export. Much more than its ‘boy and a bird’ poster suggests, this universal coming-of-age masterpiece about a working-class lad who finds creative expression through the discovery of a kestrel (and of course, who could forget that iconic PE football scene) comfortably bags the number one spot. What makes the film even more profound to this day is that most of the set locations are still there to visit. Hoyland Common (the village in which the film and novel are set and the author’s birthplace) is well worth a visit. You can also go into Barnsley city centre to see the recently unveiled Barry Hines Memorial statue or take a trip to get some fish scraps from ‘Casper’s Fish and Chip Shop’ (still open!). For those based in Sheffield, check out the Billy Casper visual artwork on the front of the Arts Tower, or delve into the Barry Hines Archive in Western Bank Library.

1. The Full Monty (1997) dir. Peter Cattaneo / The Full Monty (2023) Disney+

Image credit: imdb

The most commercially and critically acclaimed film from Sheffield on this list, The Full Monty, perfectly encapsulates the 1990s post-Thatcher zeitgeist. Winning the BAFTA for Best Film and grossing over $250 million worldwide from a modest $3.5 million budget, this heartwarming (and often heartbreaking) comedy about a mismatched group of unemployed steelworkers in a bleak, deindustrialised Sheffield who orchestrate a raunchy striptease is a must-watch. Filming for the original 1997 film (and its recent Disney TV show spinoff) took place all over Sheffield. The most notable locations include The Blake Hotel Pub near Ruskin Park, the Sheffield/Tinsley Canal in Attercliffe, Parkwood Springs, the Sheffield Boxing Centre in Hillsborough, Shiregreen WMC (now derelict), and Meadowhall Shopping Centre.

1. Threads (1984) dir. Mick Jackson

image credit: BBC

A tough watch for anyone, but particularly for us locals who are now permanently haunted by projected images of a nuclear-desolated hometown. This 1984 BBC drama, directed by Mick Jackson and written by Barry Hines, envisions a catastrophic nuclear fallout in the Steel City due to conflict between the Soviet Union and the United States— a possibility that seemed particularly frightening for its contemporary audience during the Cold War. Its quaint, unassuming portrayal of a normal Sheffield couple, along with its notable use of Sheffield landmarks such as The Moor, the Nottingham House pub, and Sheffield City Hall, makes the escalating chaos and the struggle for survival in a post-apocalyptic landscape even more devastating. And it features one of the most horrifying final scenes ever put on screen. Even a lottery-winning day would be dampened by watching this film. Good luck!

1. Four Lions (2010) dir. Chris Morris

image credits:4 lions

Produced by the Sheffield-backed independent film and TV production company Warp Films (the team behind This Is England, Dead Man’s Shoes, ’71, and Submarine), the dark satirical comedy Four Lions is another staple of Sheffield film history. Filmed in and around the city centre, including locations such as Meadowhall shopping centre, Meersbrook Park, Sheffield Central Library, and the famous ‘Kebabish’ takeaway situated on The Wicker, this film is a compelling example of daring satire and intelligent contemporary social commentary. Starring Riz Ahmed, who was relatively unknown at the time but is magnificent in the lead role, this BAFTA-nominated 2010 film tells the story of a group of young Muslim men living in Sheffield who attempt to devise a plan to become suicide bombers. At times uncomfortable, laugh-out-loud funny, farcical, and even despairing, this film is a must-see.

1. When Saturday Comes (1996) dir. Maria Giese

image credit: When Saturday comes

What says Sheffield more than Sean Bean in a Sheffield United shirt drinking a pint of Stones? While When Saturday Comes may be a cheap and cheerful TV film knockoff, it remains a staple for Sheffield residents, particularly for United fans. Jimmy Muir (Sean Bean) dreams of playing for his boyhood Blades but is held back by his heavy drinking and dead-end job in a brewery, instead settling for playing with his local pub’s Sunday league team. However, after starting a courtship with a local factory worker and impressing local scouts, Jimmy is offered a dream trial. Standout locations include The Sheaf House pub (which remains a pre-match regular for United fans to this day), Mulehouse Park at Crookes (near the cemetery), and, of course, the oldest professional football stadium in the world: Bramall Lane.

USLES summons Techies for Summoning Morphsuit Gary

Join Morphsuit Gary & USLES in creating their latest light entertainment production

Your Heart’s Too Open, Close It announce final 2024 SUTCo Casting

SUTCo's week 5 show casts returning names, new faces & USLES stars

Off The Shelf Review: Backbone of the Nation

Recounting the experiences of the Miners' Strikes & more, Gildea retells the history of the untold stories

Live Review: The Last Dinner Party @ The Octagon

On Wednesday 25 September, I attended The Last Dinner Party's concert at The Octagon, and though I attended last minute, it was an unforgettable...

In Conversation: Culture Committee Chair The Rt. Hon. Dame Caroline Dinenage MP

Now in her fifth term, the former Minister shares her thoughts on Arts & Theatre, Parliament & polarisation

Off The Shelf Review: Born on Sunday Silent

Swapping the page for the screen, Born on Sunday Silent explores the realm of Black Gothic, & the realities behind the stories it portrays

Off The Shelf Review: Code Dependent: Living in the Shadow of AI

With AI becoming an ever-growing presence in our lives, who are the real faces behind this revolution, at both the very top & very bottom?