The University of Sheffield Light Entertainment Society (USLES) have opened applications for technical roles in their newest production Summoning Morphsuit Gary. The performance group, which recently staged Mason Lugh’s original The Shivers in Raynor Lounge, have already begun work on their next show, to be staged towards the end of the semester.

In a social media post earlier today, the society opened applications, telling members “USLES needs you!”. They went on to detail the available positions in the technical team of their semester production, including lighting and sound designers and operators, costume designer and assistant, stage manager and assistant stage managers and publicity designer, as well as general crew members.

USLES Cast Member & former Presidential Candidate Morphsuit Gary. Image Credit: Morphsuit Gary

The production is set to see the return of Morphsuit Gary, a recurring character in USLES productions, showing up in brief cameo appearances most recently in last month’s The Shivers. Morphsuit Gary gained further notoriety after running in the 2023 Students’ Union Presidential election, ultimately losing out to 2023/24 President Lily Byrne. Whilst the true identity of Morphsuit Gary is not public knowledge, he is a regular appearance in USLES productions and was endorsed by the group in 2023.

The University of Sheffield Light Entertainment Society is one of the three main theatrical performance societies at the university, alongside the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) and Sheffield University Performing Arts Society (SUPAS). They specialise in slapstick, original productions, with audience interaction and improvisation a standard occurrence in every show. Audience members are actively encouraged to cheer whenever a character says “useless”, leading to raucous scenes as productions progress.

USLES’ latest production, fresh from casting, is rapidly increasing its company as it seeks technical team members to bring Summoning Morphsuit Gary to life. With the group stressing that no previous technical experience is required, there is yet another opportunity for students to gain new experiences or return to creating the performing arts in our university community.

Applications for the technical team of Summoning Morphsuit Gary are now open, and can be found here

Image Credit: USLES