‘Mentally, you are a sock.’ It’s a peculiar expression, but just the kind of linguistic quirk Adam Sharp, master of language oddities, revels in. And he’s thrilled to teach you how to insult someone in several languages. Off The Shelf’s latest literary event saw Sharp take the stage at the University of Sheffield’s Drama Studio for an evening filled with humorous excerpts from his book, The Wheel is Spinning but the Hamster is Dead, a whirlwind journey through idioms and proverbs that either lose their original meaning – or gain new layers of absurdity – when translated into English.

Author Adam Sharp. Image Credit: Bath Box Office

Sharp kicked off the show with a quirky Hungarian greeting: ‘The wind blew the trash together,’ which, as he explained, means ‘It is good to see you all’. He followed with a playful warning that colourful language would feature heavily, setting the tone for the evening. Sharp’s deadpan humour throughout made his delivery even more hilarious. He also sprinkled in personal anecdotes, such as his grandmother calling his mother – an avid reader – an ‘ink drinker’, which I found endearing. Some jokes bordered on being cringeworthy, but these moments added to the charm of the show, blending wit with Sharp’s easygoing personality.

The evening showcased the quirks of language in fascinating ways. One standout example came from Finland, where the farewell ‘Let’s go, said Annie Lennox’ wasn’t particularly humorous, but notable for how the Finnish phrase ‘Eiku menoks, sanoi Annie Lennox’ phonetically mimics the singer’s name.

Sharp also didn’t hold back when it came to showcasing clever insults from different cultures. A Nigerian saying, ‘Intelligence is chasing them, but they are faster,’ was my favourite and had the audience in stitches. Another crowd-pleaser was the Scottish gem, ‘He thinks he’s cheese, but he’s only stink’. These phrases tied perfectly into the title of his book, The Wheel is Spinning but the Hamster is Dead, a humorous way to describe someone not being the sharpest. Sharp revealed this was his favourite hamster-related expression, before introducing his second favourite: ‘I think my hamster is waxing the floor,’ which, he explained, means to be surprised in German.

A truly engaging moment came when Sharp invited the audience to come up with a curse for their worst enemy, with the prize of his books The Wheel is Spinning but the Hamster is Dead and The Correct Order of Biscuits. A palpable buzz filled the room as people, myself included, debated their most creative curses. This interactive element added extra fun, pulling everyone deeper into Sharp’s world of linguistic oddities.

While Sharp’s selection of idioms was undeniably entertaining, it leaned heavily on European examples. A broader range, including expressions from Asia or Africa, would have offered a more diverse global perspective. That said, many of the sayings had clear historical roots, which added another layer of interest, making the show subtly educational. 

Sharp ended the evening with a whimsical farewell: ‘May the wombat of happiness shuffle through your underbrush,’ leaving the audience with one final smile. After a night of laughter and linguistic discoveries, I can’t wait to dive into The Wheel is Spinning but the Hamster is Dead to explore more of these fascinating idioms.

Rating: ★★★★☆

The Wheel is Spinning but the Hamster is Dead was published in September 2023. Other Off the Shelf Festival events can be found here

Image Credit: Amazon UK