Report: Liverpool lucky to win as battling Blades shone despite final result

A second-half Georginio Wijnaldum strike, courtesy of a Dean Henderson howler, saw the European Champions run out 1-0 winners at Bramall Lane after a pulsating contest between two evenly matched teams.
Sheffield United’s performance was inch perfect in almost every aspect of the game. The shape was well-organised, the press was measured, the threat on the break was potent and consistent throughout the match but they just couldn’t find the finish to crown what was a magnificent performance.
The biggest credit that can be paid to the Blades is that in his post-match interview, Chris Wilder was visibly and openly disappointed his side did not come away with a point. 
Liverpool came into the match on a 15-match winning Premier League run but were made to work very hard for any opening they could conjure up, were forced to ride their luck at times and had to rely on a colossal performance from man-of-the-match Virgil van Dijk to keep out Wilder’s men. 
However, the Blades made the Reds look average as they soaked up pressure and were dangerous on the counter.
The Bramall Lane cauldron was bubbling in anticipation for kick-off, the fans in full voice, ready to make the afternoon as uncomfortable as possible for the Merseyside outfit. And no players exceeded in unsettling the opposition more than the two United strikers. 
After hardly touching the ball for the first 2 minutes, Stevens won possession and released McBurnie down the left who drove inside and fired a shot straight down Adrian’s throat.
There seemed to be a deliberate ploy to target the right hand-side of Liverpool’s defence but McBurnie and Robinson were the willing runners to bring this plan to fruition.
The Blades looked to turn over possession and quickly release down the channel, often catching Alexander-Arnold high up the pitch and drawing Matip out of possession.
This ensured they carried a constant threat throughout the first half and kept the Reds honest, a smart and brave ploy from Wilder.
The first-half was an incredible containment job, the formation and tactics limiting Liverpool to just two chances, the first courtesy of a marvelous lofted pass from van Dijk to play Mane in only to slice wide and the second a fast break involving the formidable front three.
When the ball eventually fell to Mane his shot cannoned off the post straight to Firmino who was denied a certain goal by the outstanding Fleck, United’s standout performer on the day.
The second-half saw no less resilience and determination from United, although Liverpool were able to stamp their authority on proceedings.
The Reds were able to sustain their attacks, limiting the Blades’ threat on the break until Wilder responded by bringing on Lys Moussett who added an extra dimension with his pace on the counter, enabling United to get out.

However, just minutes after Fleck had a glorious chance to put the hosts in front, denied by some expert last-ditch defending from first van Dijk and then Robertson, Liverpool opened the scoring through Gini Wijnaldum.
A calamitous error from the otherwise untroubled Dean Henderson undid all the Blades’ hard work as Wijnaldum’s volley squirmed between the ‘keeper’s legs and rolled agonisingly across the line. 
After gaining the lead Liverpool asserted their control and saw the game out efficiently, frustrating the home side and limiting them on the whole.  
Wilder and his team were immense, they battled hard and arguably deserved to get something from the game. When the European Champions came to town, Sheffield responded with passion, commitment and a belief that will no doubt stand them in good stead for the rest of the campaign. 
Sheffield United: Henderson; Baldock, Basham, O’Connell, Egan, Stevens; Norwood (Clarke, ’77), Lundstram, Fleck; McBurnie, Robinson (Mousset, ’60). Subs not used: Moore, Freeman, Osborn, Besic, Jagielka. 
Liverpool: Adrian; Alexander-Arnold, Matip, van Dijk, Robertson; Fabinho, Henderson (Origi, ’64), Wijnaldum; Salah, Firmino (Milner, ’87), Mane (Oxlade-Chamberlain, ‘90+4). Subs not used: Kelleher, Lovren, Gomez, Lallana.
Referee: Anthony Taylor
Bookings: Sheffield United: Jack O’Connell (’63)
Liverpool: Adrian (’83)
Scorers: Sheffield United: N/A
Liverpool: Gini Wijnaldum (‘70)
HT: 0 – 0
FT: 0 – 1
Attendance: 31,774
Man of the Match: Virgil van Dijk

Sheffield Museums Exhibition Review: A Passion for Prints

Collecting something is, for many, one of the first and most enduring hobbies. Many people have collections of some sort, whether it’s patches, pin...

Book Review: The Transgender Issue ~ Shon Faye

Transgender people are one of the most popular political debates, with politicians, companies and many other groups all aiming to make their voices heard...

General Election 2024: Former Culture Committee Member embroiled in Betting Scandal

A former member of the Parliamentary Culture, Media & Sport Committee has been accused of placing bets on the outcome of his seat, in...

EFL Fixture Release: Blades and Owls learn who they will play on the opening day

Find out when Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday will face their EFL rivals in the 2024/25 season.

Two Show Day: A How-To Guide

Going to the theatre is, in my opinion, one of the best ways to spend your time. But why spend an afternoon OR and...

Touring Production Review: Jesus Christ Superstar

I’m not sure you get a more classic story than one derived from the Bible, but this is no Sunday School sermon. Andrew Lloyd...

General Election 2024: How to prepare

How to prepare for the upcoming election: voter ID and support on the 4th July.