At a cross-roads, do Arsenal want to turn to Mourinho?

Arsenal have been one of the Premier League’s constants in recent years, providing entertainment and mediocrity, sometimes at the same time. It was thought that Arsene Wenger’s departure would bring about a change, but that hasn’t happened. Under Unai Emery, Arsenal finished outside of the top four once again, and this season seems to be going a similar way. Performances have been shaky, as an unstable defense has led to just two clean-sheets, with just four wins in 11 league games. With Emery’s future on the line, the dark spectre of José Mourinho looms. But is the José package actually worth it in 2019?
Mourinho might be Premier League’s most enigmatic manager, as he has had three stints in the Premier League, winning plenty of silverware. However, it’s gone sour every time, with his sapping negativity leading to his own departure at almost every club he’s managed. For example, at Manchester United, things went downhill once he didn’t get the centre-back he desired. Could things change at Arsenal? After big spending this summer, funds might not be readily available in the coming transfer windows. 
Only this time, Mourinho would know what he would be getting into. He’s spent 11 months out of management, biding his time. He’s been building his return slowly, via Sky Sports stints, getting back into the public eye. He’s spoken about how Emery could play Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang on the left-wing and bring Nicolas Pepe inside to benefit Alexandre Lacazette, clearly showing he has some ideas for how to change things up at the club. Despite his two stints at Chelsea, it’s unlikely he’s worried too much about managing their rivals, even though he has clashed with Wenger on numerous occasions.
The question revolves more around Arsenal and where they want to head. Emery hasn’t given the club the identity they desire. If they were to approach Mourinho, he might be keen to get back in the game. But will they progress? He delivered cups at United, but he left them back at square one. His tactics were out-dated and United were often a shambles under him. What he might bring is leadership and charisma but the spotlight would be on him rather than the club. He may be able to organise the defense but the personnel at their disposal aren’t the greatest.
Emery has been a safe pair of hands so far, but he is fast losing the fanbase. To appoint Mourinho would be a major gamble which is unlikely to go well in the long-term. It would take serious desperation for the club to appoint him. In 2019, Mourinho needs Arsenal more than Arsenal needs Mourinho. That should be enough reason to steer clear of the Special One.

🔴 General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Book Review: The Bee Sting ~ Paul Murray

I was convinced to buy The Bee Sting by a cashier at Waterstones. It had just been published in paperback at the beginning of...

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.