Jeremy Corbyn delivers speech on SU concourse

Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn has delivered a speech outside the Students’ Union to a packed out concourse. Crowds had gathered for over an hour in pouring rain before Corbyn eventually arrived.
He delivered his speech ahead of the BBC’s Question Time leaders’ special which will take place from 7pm in the Octagon tonight. The other leaders taking part are Boris Johnson on behalf of the Conservatives, Jo Swinson from the Liberal Democrats and Nicola Sturgeon from the SNP.
Speaking without a microphone, Corbyn delivered an off the cuff speech to the crowd while holding up the Labour manifesto. He said: “we have got three weeks to convince people that this manifesto can bring real change.”

The packed out crowd waited over an hour for the Labour leader to arrive

In his speech, Corbyn talked about ending poverty and homelessness, investing in schools and hospitals and “securing free trade with Europe either in or out of the European Union.” 
He ended by addressing the Prime Minister, telling Boris Johnson that the “NHS is not for sale”. A chant of “Oh Jeremy Corbyn” broke out as the Labour leader walked away into the Octagon.
The debate will take place from 7pm and will be broadcast live on BBC1. It will follow a question and answer format where a studio audience will put questions to each leader for half an hour.

General Election 2024: Sheffield’s results

Labour won all six of Sheffield’s parliamentary constituencies at Thursday’s general election, on the way to a landslide victory across the country.  Marie Tidball won...

Only 45% of Arts & Theatre MPs returned to new Parliament

Last week’s General Election resulted in 55% of the former Parliament’s MPs with Arts & Theatre experience not return for the new session. Through...

Book Review: Empress of the World ~ Sara Ryan

Looking across the room at someone you’ve never seen before but feeling the world go silent around you as you’re drawn into this beautiful...

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...