The University’s Students’ Union have called on Oliver Coppard, the Mayor of South-Yorkshire, to halt the scheduled increase to travel fares for young people.

The South-Yorkshire Combined Authority’s Zoom Beyond scheme currently allows residents of the region aged between 18 to 21 to buy single tickets on buses and trams for 80p, from the 1st November this is set to rise to £1.50 for most of Sheffield’s bus services and £2 for trams.

Launched in 2021, the scheme quickly grew in popularity amongst Sheffield’s students, with the ‘Zoom Card’ – the provided proof of registration – becoming a common sight on campus.

The Students’ Union (SU) has teamed up with its equivalent at Sheffield Hallam and the South Yorkshire Youth Combined Authority (SYYCA) to call for restoration of the 80p rate. 

In an email to Oliver Coppard, the two institutions stated that they were “deeply concerned” by the news, describing the consequences that the “financial strain” of greater prices risked causing for students:

“With 40% of UoS students reporting a major impact [on their mental health] due to financial pressures, accessible and cost-effective transportation options become crucial in supporting students’ mental well-being.”

“A concerning 6% of UoS students (equivalent to 1,800 students) are contemplating dropping out due to the cost of living crisis. Affordable transport can be a pivotal factor in retaining students and ensuring they complete their education.” 

A meeting with Coppard in late October is seen as the last chance by SU leadership to stop the changes before they come into effect. If they are unsuccessful, next steps could involve student demonstrations and petitions. 

The Mayor’s case:

The Mayor blames the rises on budgetary restraints imposed by the actions of central government, having previously called the situation “an absolute disgrace”:

“It’s a dreadful position for us to be in but, make no mistake, this is because of government funding cuts.”

South Yorkshire lost 50% of the funding from the Department for Transport that it had received to provide reduced fares, and missed out completely on £1bn offered by the government for investment in regional transport.

When pressed for comment by Forge, the Mayor’s office pointed towards the recent agreement he made with local bus operators to “save” Zoom cards.

The scheme was previously set to be scrapped completely, with a single journey jumping to £2, until Coppard negotiated the new £1.50 rate for cardholders, in agreement with First, Stagecoach and TM Travel – the region’s three primary providers.

Curtis Yip, member of the SYYCA, argued it was youth activism across the region which had “managed to reverse,” the elected official’s decision.

However, he admits that the situation still amounts to “a considerable increase that many young people cannot afford.”

Jo Campling, the SU’s Welfare and Sustainability Officer, acknowledged the financial challenges faced by regional authority, but focused her concern over the more expensive trams. With the cost of a return journey climbing from £1.60 to £4 – an increase of 150% – she’s worried about the University’s commuter students:

“For a lot of students who grew up in the surrounding area and live at home, they rely on the tram to get to University; it’s a huge difference in cost now.” 

An uncertain future:

Oliver Coppard’s administration are on track to take all tram services into public ownership when the current operator’s contract runs out in March 2024, and have begun the process of doing the same with the region’s bus network –  although this is dependent on central government approval.      

Curtis Yip commits to ‘continuing to call for reduced fares, particularly given its change of ownership next year to being publicly controlled’. 

We will continue to rally round and push the government to save the original Zoom Beyond fare.”

For Jo Campling, the debate is part of a wider problem that even a return of the 80p zoom card wouldn’t solve.

She said: “The cost of living is a huge deal. The number of students working part-time is consistently going up.”

She points out that “The majority of students aren’t actually aged 18 to 21”, and thus ineligible for the zoom scheme.

“We are pushing the Mayor to allow cheaper transport for students in general.”

Image credit – Wikimedia Commons