BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office. 

Speaking to Forge Press anonymously, several members of the Students’ Union council felt the BAME Students Part Time (PT) Officer was neglecting his duties. One person  said: “[Ahmad] hadn’t taken an active role in running campaigns to better the university experience of BAME students”.

One individual even claimed Ahmad had once asked what the ‘B’ in BAME stood for. 

“I completely deny it. It’s completely baseless and I don’t accept it. I wouldn’t have taken up this role if I didn’t,” Ahmad said in response to the accusations. 

He has also been banned from Student’s Union nightclub The Foundry. 

The Students’ Union  did not comment on the situation. 

BAME is an acronym for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic and is used to refer to racial groups that are not white. In recent years, questions have been raised over the true inclusivity of this term, particularly as it groups diverse populations into an umbrella. 

Ahmad was first publicly questioned in the second council meeting held on 7 December 2023, where he was asked about his thoughts on his overall performance as the BAME Officer until that point.  

SU Council is an opportunity for SU council members to hold officers accountable to their election promises and conduct. 

One member of the Student Council told Forge: “Nothing was being done, there was nobody to go to. He was not very visible.

“Black History Month went and passed by. Students did not feel they were being represented. It seemed tokenist, as if the SU only put on events just to say they had. I’ve spoken to students in the Nigerian and Caribbean and African Societies and they weren’t asked to be involved in planning anything at all.”

During another event organised by the library to celebrate Black History Month, Ahmad was invited to facilitate a poetry recital, but some students who showed up felt he was not engaged with the event and didn’t make an effort to represent himself.

“It was really disappointing because it was our first workshop. Black students didn’t feel like he cared,” the individual said. 

In response, Ahmad said: “I’ve never said I do not care about BHM because I myself am not black. Otherwise I wouldn’t have taken up this role as the BAME officer.”

“Regarding the events, to be fairly honest that there had been a heavy workload on me last year. I also have to juggle my studies as a third year mechanical engineering student so it was a little difficult at times.

“I started in September but due to problems with setting up the BAME committee it’s been difficult to organise events and other things. 

“But this semester I’ve prioritised this role and with the support of other officers I’ve been able to start earlier,” he said. 

As BAME Students Officer, Ahmad explains he has other responsibilities than organising events as well. 

“I go to the race equality charter meetings and other things that many people don’t know. Everyone only focuses on what hasn’t been happening.”

As a part time officer, Ahmad is only required to work eight hours a week.

A student said that Ahmad had approached them asking to help chair the BAME committee last year, which under SU regulations is the BAME Part Time Officer’s responsibility. 

“I was offended when he did because this is his paid role and he should take the initiative to do so. [At the time] I’d only heard negative experiences from students about his work,” the student told Forge Press. 

Ahmad has put together a BAME committee since, which he chairs, and he believes it will make his role a lot easier. 

Ahmad is planning to organise weekly socials particularly aimed at BAME students, as well as cultural events in the future. 

Ahmad’s term as the BAME Students Part Time Officer ends this summer as he did not seek re-election. 

Kiara Delgado Derteano has been elected as the new BAME students officer. She is currently a BAME Students Councillor and chairs the Liberation Forums, where BAME students can discuss ways the SU can better support its diverse student body. 

Kiara will officially begin work in the next academic year, starting in September 2024.