Katy Roberts (she/her)" />

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield take triumphant victory for 10th year running

Several weeks of sporting excellence culminated in a spectacular Varsity win for the University of Sheffield.

This marks a decade of victories for the black and gold side which demonstrated its prowess across an extremely wide range of sports events. 

Over a month of competition (albeit with an awkwardly-timed Easter break after the ice hockey opener), Uni of took home 56.5 points, beating last year’s score of 52. 

Hallam found their feet in swimming, men’s hockey, and of course ice hockey, which they have historically dominated. Nevertheless, the maroon university finished Varsity with 28.5 points.

On the day of the finale, which was held at the English Institute of Sport and recently opened Canon Medical Arena, Uni of won fixtures including futsal, women’s basketball, and netball.

Hallam successfully took control of the last event of the tournament, winning men’s basketball with a tight scoreline of 62-58.

Final Varsity score: University of Sheffield 56.5 – 28.5 Sheffield Hallam

Featured Image Credit: Sarah Heywood-Jones

Breaking: Fire Service called to Drama Studio

This is a developing story Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...