Review: The Report

The Report follows the investigation into the CIA’s torture of Al-Qaeda  detainees following 9/11. The film spans more than a decade, during which public interest in national security was at its peak. The horrors are uncovered by Daniel J. Jones (Adam Driver), who writes a report over 6,700 pages long regarding the use of EITs (Extreme Interrogation Techniques). The audience follows the investigation alongside the protagonist, as the film reveals uncomfortable truths about American counter-terrorism. Written and directed by Scott Z. Burns, the film also stars Annette Bening as Senator Dianne Feinstein, alongside other actors as Jon Hamm, Sarah Goldberg, and Ted Levine.
As is often the nature with historical films, the fundamental appeal lies in our curiosity regarding real world events. The Report taps into this beautifully, through the steady revelation of how torture was justified and implemented, creating a sense of story-telling which can be attributed to Burns’ writing. It is perhaps a little slow to start, but once the investigation moves to the capture and interrogation of Abu Zubaydah (Zuhdi Boueri), the tale rapidly acquires momentum and moves from interesting to gripping. 
Perhaps one of Burns’ greatest challenges in the film is to present swathes of legal jargon to the audience whilst keeping their attention. This jargon is inescapable for a story regarding a senate investigation of the CIA, but the overall construction of the film makes it possible to follow, although it is still difficult. The various settings help make it possible to recognise how the language in question relates to either the senate, the investigation, or the CIA. The actors’ delivery is also to be merited in keeping the complicated jargon accessible, but it ultimately seems fair to comment that the film is somewhat challenging in its complexity. 
The acting is outstanding, with no exceptions. The scenes of torture are brilliantly and chillingly executed, to such an extent that it was hard not to flinch away from the screen. This violence does, however, earn a trigger warning: the quality of the acting and general execution of the film means that the EITs are particularly disturbing, and do include scenes of nudity, humiliation and physical abuse. Although uncomfortable, the honesty of the film is to its credit. It might not be an easy watch, but it is certainly worthwhile.
Perhaps a challenge of the film to some audiences is the alien American system, with different means of making laws, publishing reports, and conducting politics generally. Anyone watching The Report would benefit from a basic knowledge of the political system in the US, as it certainly allows for a more in-depth understanding of the film’s events. However, this is not a necessity and the film holds significant meaning regardless.
The Report appeals to anyone who enjoys the historical genre, particularly modern history. An interest in politics will make the film doubly enjoyable, but the discomfort and significance of the events depicted holds meaning for any audience.
4 stars
Image: Movie DB

Book Review: The Transgender Issue ~ Shon Faye

Transgender people are one of the most popular political debates, with politicians, companies and many other groups all aiming to make their voices heard...

General Election 2024: Former Culture Committee Member embroiled in Betting Scandal

A former member of the Parliamentary Culture, Media & Sport Committee has been accused of placing bets on the outcome of his seat, in...

EFL Fixture Release: Blades and Owls learn who they will play on the opening day

Find out when Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday will face their EFL rivals in the 2024/25 season.

Two Show Day: A How-To Guide

Going to the theatre is, in my opinion, one of the best ways to spend your time. But why spend an afternoon OR and...

Touring Production Review: Jesus Christ Superstar

I’m not sure you get a more classic story than one derived from the Bible, but this is no Sunday School sermon. Andrew Lloyd...

General Election 2024: How to prepare

How to prepare for the upcoming election: voter ID and support on the 4th July.

Book Review: Bored Gay Werewolf ~ Tony Santorella

Queer media often goes for the weird and the wonderful when pitching stories, taking a seemingly random idea and transforming it into something remarkable...