James Stocks (he/him)" />

Anyone But You: “Romcoms are well and truly back, with this masterful rendition of a Shakespearean tale.”-Review

Anyone But You is a breath of fresh air in the romantic comedy genre, reinvigorating our love for love on the big screen. The entire cast delivers stellar performances, skilfully playing their roles and adding layers of complexity to the characters. The dynamic between Ben and Bee, portrayed with remarkable finesse by Sydney Sweeney and Glenn Powell, creates a captivating tension that keeps audiences on not just wanting more but needing it.

What truly sets this film apart is the impeccable chemistry exhibited from start to finish, not only romantically but also within the friendships and family dynamics. The relationships feel authentic, injecting a genuine warmth and relatability into the narrative. The fiery arguments are not just scripted exchanges; they resonate with authenticity, making the emotional roller coaster all the more compelling.

Dermot Mulroney deserves special mention in this review, as what he brings to this film only raises the quality in every scene, he’s in. His humour is contagious, and comforting as he brings ultimate dad vibes throughout. 

The decision to centre the majority of the film in Australia proves to be a stroke of genius. The breathtaking set design and picturesque locations not only make the film visually stunning but also play a crucial role in advancing the plot further. The backdrop of Australia adds a layer of depth, reinforcing the trope that the leads are effectively ‘stuck together’ whilst elevating the overall viewing experience.

Despite some contrary opinions, Sydney Sweeney and Glenn Powell exhibit an undeniable chemistry that is central to the film’s success. Their portrayal of hatred, love, and passion breathes life into the story, making the connection between the characters palpable and genuine. It is a testament to their acting prowess that the emotions shared on screen feel so authentic. 

With both proving their worth in a multitude of genres previously, I don’t think it is a secret tip that I expect the two stars to be key faces in the coming decades of cinema.

In a genre often plagued by shallowness and implausible connections, Anyone But You stands out for its authenticity. The film tackles sensitive topics with grace, avoiding melodrama and offering a realistic portrayal of the complexities within healthy relationships. It ventures beyond the surface, exploring the ranges and dissimilarities that contribute to the dynamics of genuine connections.

As the romantic comedy genre has faced a decline in recent years with poorly written plots and unrealistic couples, Anyone But You emerges as a beacon of hope. It signals a potential resurgence, introducing a new wave of romcoms that recapture the charm and quality reminiscent of the genre’s golden era in the 90s and early 2000s. This film is not just a delightful escape; it is a promising harbinger of a brighter future for romantic comedies.

4/5

Image Credit: TMDB and Sony Pictures

DragSoc announces End of Year Extravaganza

The University of Sheffield’s Drag Society (DragSoc) have revealed their final showcase of the academic year, with tickets already on sale for eager audience...

Steel City Sirens Review: Moulin Rouge Masquerade Ball

The Moulin Rouge has been home to a range of mysterious, sensual performances in its past, but never has it been graced by the...

SUPAS Review: Made in Dagenham

We've all become accustomed to industrial action in all sectors of our society, many striking for better pay. But what happens when that pay...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield take triumphant victory for 10th year running

Several weeks of sporting excellence culminated in a spectacular Varsity win for the University of Sheffield. This marks a decade of victories for the black...

VARSITY 2024: Narrow win for Hallam basketball men’s 1s in finale

Hallam basketball men’s 1s team won a thriller against the University of Sheffield on Wednesday 24 April at the Canon Medical Arena, taking victory...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take clean sweep in netball fixtures

The University of Sheffield’s first team claimed a wonderful victory with a 44-36 win over Sheffield Hallam on Wednesday 24 April at Canon Medical...

VARSITY 2024: Sheffield women’s basketball crush Hallam by double digits

A brilliant comeback saw the University of Sheffield emphatically defeat Sheffield Hallam University on the final day of Varsity. Despite Hallam taking an early lead,...