Jane Esi Ampiah" />

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take clean sweep in netball fixtures

The University of Sheffield’s first team claimed a wonderful victory with a 44-36 win over Sheffield Hallam on Wednesday 24 April at Canon Medical Arena. 

The victory added to an already impressive day of Varsity Netball wins for the University of Sheffield.

Captained by Zoe Parry and Vice Captain Abi Francis, the Sheffield first team dominated in each quarter. 

The game surged into action as Sheffield Uni Goal Shooter Ariyike Oyelola wasted no time in swiftly securing the first goal. 

The atmosphere buzzed with energy as both sides passionately cheered on their respective universities. 

Sheffield Uni seized control of the game in the first quarter, concluding with a score of 12-9 which firmly established their lead in the match.

Despite the game becoming more physical as both teams battled fiercely for possession, the girls maintained their lead in the second quarter. 

Sheffield applied great pressure on Hallam with Goal Keeper Lauren Pritchard and Centre Becky Cooke making excellent interceptions.

In the third quarter, tensions rose as the crowd began chanting for the players. It was very clear that this was a game worth watching. 

Hallam’s defence displayed resilience as they worked hard to regain control over the game.

Hallam’s Goal Keeper, Keisha Mcintosh, played a pivotal role in effectively intercepting passes and winning back possession for Hallam. 

However, the whole Sheffield team worked together to successfully regain control of the game.

The crowd cheered on the black and gold side as the girls successfully ended the third quarter with a score of 38-26.

As the final quarter unfolded, the Sheffield crowd rallied behind their team with loud cheers of support. 

Sheffield’s defence was a formidable force showcasing excellent skill in anticipating Hallam’s moves, disrupting plays and applying relentless pressure on the Hallam side. 

The crowd cheered in support as substitutions were made, with Elly Stonebridge stepping into Wing Attack and Francis taking over as Goal Attack.

The rivalry between Sheffield Hallam and Uni of grew as only a few minutes of the game remained. 

The Hallam crowd became more vocal cheering on their team in support. Responsively, the maroon team applied more pressure on Sheffield Uni, desperately trying to make a comeback and even out the score. 

However, the Sheffield team were equally competitive leaving no space for errors and applying even more pressure.

The last four minutes of the game saw an excellent interception made by Sheffield Wing Defence Esther Bean.

In the final moments of the match, the crowd erupted in cheers as Sheffield Goal Shooter, Oyelola, scored the last goal and Sheffield Uni secured their Varsity win. 

Final score: University of Sheffield 44-36 Sheffield Hallam

Featured Image Credit: Lara Parsons

Fire Service called to Drama Studio as smoke reported

Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on Shearwood Road this...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...