Sheffield Wednesday increase Championship survival hopes with West Brom win

Sheffield Wednesday took a huge step towards Championship survival as they beat play-off chasing West Bromwich Albion 3-0 on a memorable afternoon at a noisy Hillsborough.

Goals from Anthony Musaba, Ike Ugbo and Josh Windass secured the three points for the Owls, although they still need a point on the final day of the season to guarantee survival. The result leaves the away side with work to do next weekend to secure a play-off spot. 

Wednesday had not beaten Albion in 17 years before Saturday and the disparity in league positions was not evident early on, with the home side starting brightly with two early long-range efforts, one from Musaba which was blocked by Cedric Kipre and another from Will Vaulks 30 yards out, who saw his shot parried behind by Alex Palmer. 

Albion grew into the game, with Jed Wallace and Michael Johnston linking up nicely allowing the latter to unleash a shot which James Beadle comfortably saved down to his left. However, they found themselves behind 22 minutes in when Musaba converted from close range following up after Windass’s initial shot was pushed down to his left by Palmer.

The away side weren’t happy that referee Graham Scott saw nothing wrong with a challenge on Conor Townsend in an earlier phase. 

Hillsborough was sold out for Wednesday’s final home game of the season (Credit: Owen Roberts)

That setback gave West Brom the impetus they previously lacked, and the Baggies were nearly level at 38 minutes when Kyle Bartley saw his header blocked by teammate Jed Wallace. They came close again in added time when Yann M’Vila hooked a shot goalwards from a corner, which was claimed by a stretching Beadle. 

Any momentum that Carlos Corberan would’ve hoped his side could take into the second half was quashed on 50 minutes when Ugbo fired into the top right-hand corner, following a purposeful run by Musaba. This gave the home side a 2-0 lead that their early second-half dominance deserved.

Corberan responded by making a quadruple substitution, including bringing on attacking threats Brandon Thomas-Asante and Adam Reach. Kipre headed over from close range on the hour mark, but any further impact the Albion boss was hoping that his changes would make was nullified 10 minutes later, when Windass converted from close range after Palmer could only parry Barry Bannan’s initial long-range shot into his path. 

With the game all but won at 3-0, Danny Rohl also made wholesale changes, removing the three goal scorers simultaneously. This was followed by Albion’s only real period of sustained pressure, with Grady Diangana, John Swift and Kyle Bartley all seeing efforts saved, but in truth they never really look like getting back into the game.

Albion will be frustrated they didn’t find the net as they enjoyed 65% possession, fashioned 23 shots at goal, and had an xG of over 2.2. 

With Huddersfield and Birmingham sharing the points at the John Smith’s Stadium this afternoon, Wednesday travel to Wearside to face Sunderland next Saturday knowing a point will secure safety. They will also stay up with defeat as long as Plymouth and Birmingham don’t both win. 

Following Hull and Ipswich’s 3-3 draw in the evening game, Albion know a point at home to Preston on the final day will extend their season; they will also make the play-offs with defeat if Hull fail to beat Plymouth at Home Park. 

The Wednesday players enjoyed the acclaim of their supporters during the lap of appreciation after the final whistle, and while the job 35-year-old Rohl has done is admirable, he is under no illusions that their task is complete yet.

Danny Rohl post-match comments: 

“Big big performance by my team today, probably our best performance without the ball. [I liked how we] defended as a team – how compact we are.

“Before the game we spoke about how in transition moments, the defence line will drop and we have space to carry the ball. I think for the 2-0 Musa showed this.

“We have taken 11 points from our last five games and have beaten a top-six team today.

“We are above the line but not yet safe. For me it’s not a time to celebrate – we are in tomorrow for training.”

Carlos Corberan post-match comments: 

“There were not many big chances for both teams in the first half. We achieved five corners; from their first corner, they scored, but I was watching a contact in the first phase with Townsend which I don’t understand why it wasn’t a foul.”

“I don’t want to tell you they won because they were playing with more accuracy and energy – this is not true. They won because we didn’t manage well the first 20 minutes of the second half.”

“The only way I analyse the situation [play-off race] is by taking responsibility with the things we don’t do well; I am confident we will find a solution on the pitch next week.”

Attendance: 33,295

Goals: Musaba 22′, Ugbo 50′, Windass 69′

Featured Image Credit: @swfc via X

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...