The difficulties Santa faces on Christmas Eve

Our race against the clock with last-minute gift shopping is nothing compared to the difficulties faced by Santa on Christmas Eve. He must allow time to visit every child on the planet in a single night – so how does he do it?
Santa has to visit approximately two billion children in the world, and assuming there are an average of 2.5 children per household, that makes about 800 million stops on Christmas Eve.
Next, we must work out the distance Santa has to travel. Earth has a surface area of 197 million square miles (to the nearest million), but given most people live on land, only 30% of this area needs to be considered. So assuming the 800 million stops are equally spread across the landmasses, each house occupies about 0.073 square miles. We square-root this area to calculate the distance between each stop, which comes out as 0.27 miles. For 800 millions stops, Santa’s journey on Christmas Eve is therefore about 216 million miles long.
Travelling at 100 mph, for example, this journey would take 2,160,000 hours, or 247 years!  Clearly, he must be going much faster to be able to finish in one night.
Luckily, if Santa travels across the International Date Line, in the direction of the Earth’s rotation, he’ll have a generous 48 hours on Christmas Eve to deliver all the presents. This means he has two ten-thousandths of a second per household.
Santa’s sleigh must, therefore, travel at 1,250 miles per second, which is 5,865 times the speed of sound. The only explanation I can think of for how he does it? Good old-fashioned Christmas magic.

Sheffield Eagles falter in Championship play-off race

The Sheffield Eagles missed out on keeping hold of fourth place in the RFL Championship after a narrow defeat to play-off rivals York Knights at the Olympic Legacy Park Stadium.

In Conversation: Dizzy’s Sera Mustafa

With her Sheffield Theatres debut on the horizon, Sera Mustafa discusses 'DIZZY', touring schools & getting into theatre

PhotoSoc unveil 2024/25 Committee & Summer Competition

A new committee & a new competition for PhotoSoc as Freshers come to the Steel City

🔴 Sheffield Eagles v York Knights: LIVE updates from the RFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from the OLP Stadium as Sheffield Eagles host York Knights in the RFL Championship.

SUTCo & SUPAS open auditions for upcoming shows

The groups have announced audition details for all five of their upcoming productions

Exhibition Review: Examining the Eye

A creative exploration of how we see the world that can occasionally become lost in the miasma of medical jargon

English Society announce 2024/25 committee

The departmental society names their leadership ahead of Freshers Week