Rebecca Dawes (she/her)" />

The bio-based economy – what is it, and what is the University of Sheffield doing to boost it?

Around 88% of industrially produced chemicals and plastics are currently derived from fossil resources, contributing massively to global CO2 emissions. Despite the growing need to transition to a net-zero future, petrochemical production continues to rise.

The bio-based economy is a novel model for industry which involves utilizing renewable biological resources to produce food, energy, and industrial goods sustainably. Researchers at the University of Sheffield have initiated the discovery phase of a new network aiming to accelerate the development and adoption of bio-based and biodegradable packaging to reduce reliance on fossil resources and increase sustainability.

This initiative, led by Green Rose Chemistry in collaboration with Professor Joanna Gavins from the University’s School of English, Professor Rachael Rothman from the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, and the Bio-Based and Biodegradable Industries Association (BBIA), aims to unite stakeholders. The move involves academics, industrial employees, policymakers, retailers, consumers and funding bodies coming together to address key challenges hindering the progress of bio-based and biodegradable plastics and chemicals. 

The network will aim to tackle challenges in key areas, including existing regulations which favour fossil-based materials, impeding the market entry of bio-based alternatives; standards, certification, and labelling which currently results in consumers facing inconsistency and confusion when confronted with labelling schemes and advertising. Communication will also be improved: terms like ‘biodegradable’ are often misused, leading to greenwashing. The disconnect in policies across the UK government hindering the commercialisation of bio-based materials will also be addressed.

Dr Jen Vanderhoven, COO of the BBIA, said: “Not only does the bioeconomy have significant environmental benefits by reducing our reliance on fossil resources, but the economic potential is also vast, with the sector having contributed £220 billion of output across the UK economy and supporting 5.2 million jobs, in 2014. 

“This project will look at how we can unlock the economic and environmental impact of the bioeconomy even further, spear-heading the acceleration of the development and adoption of bio-based materials and products.”

Linguists from the University of Sheffield will investigate the language surrounding bio-based and biodegradable packaging, aiming to identify communication barriers hindering consumer adoption of these materials or leading to improper disposal practices.

University of Sheffield-based chemical engineers will evaluate current practices regarding environmental impact assessment of materials, and aid in developing new guidelines for assessing material life cycles.

This collaborative effort between academia, industry and policymakers holds promise for an accelerated transition to a bio-based economy, reduced reliance on fossil resources and sustainable innovation.

Professor Rachael Rothman, Professor of Sustainable Chemical Engineering at the University of Sheffield, said: “Bio-based and biodegradable materials have huge potential to help us achieve a sustainable future, however they can be energy intensive and complex to produce and may not degrade fully in the wrong environment. 

“It is really important to assess the environmental footprint of the materials across the whole life cycle to ensure that their use does indeed reduce carbon emissions and that there aren’t unintended consequences.

“Guidelines are desperately needed to help streamline evaluation and development of these materials.”

Original press release: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/switch-bio-based-economy-boosted-new-university-sheffield-initiative 

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...

Rose-tinted glasses: Do my favourite games stand the test of time?

After finishing the recent Fallout series on Amazon, I was left itching to jump back into Fallout 4, and with Bethesda’s announcement of a free next-gen update for the game shortly on the horizon, I started to wonder whether I’d love it as much as I did back in 2015.