Sheffield University Sailing Club reaches BUCS Team Finals for second consecutive year

Sheffield University Sailing Club has qualified for the BUCS Team Finals for a second year in a row after finishing fourth at the Northern Qualifiers.
The club entered two teams into the BUCS Team Racing Northern Qualifiers in West Kirby on 1-2 February, Sheffield Yellow (first team) and Sheffield Black (second team). Despite challenging weather conditions, Sheffield Yellow secured the fourth and final automatic qualification spot for the competitive sailing finals, where they will represent the North alongside teams from Durham, Newcastle and Manchester.
After the event, club captain Sam Yale said: “We are so happy. Everyone on the team sailed really well together, and we are really pleased that the hard work and commitment we’ve put in throughout the year has paid off.
“Everyone, from our committee who run the club to the sailors who attend every training and social, is part of this achievement”.
“We have a number of new sailors in the team this year which makes the achievement even better. Having qualified for two years in a row now I’m excited about where the club will go in the next few years.”
The finals will be hosted by Cambridge University on 13-15 April and will see Sheffield, who have won the last four Sheffield Varsity events, compete against the best teams in the country.
Sam said: “We are training hard at the moment in preparation and are hoping to build on last year’s performance, when we finished 27th.
“We are keen to prove ourselves against the other top teams competing, but ultimately we want to enjoy ourselves and have a good time.
Team racing is a form of competitive sailing that sees two teams race each other with three boats each. The teams sail around a course in 10 minute races, with typically 10 to 15 races at each event. Points are awarded according to finishing position (one point for first place, two points for second), meaning the overall winner is the team that amasses the lowest points total.
Sheffield Yellow’s team members included Sam Yale (captain), Elizabeth Geraghty, Robbie Langford, Hannah Baber, Peter Owen and Immi van Ruiten. Meanwhile, Sheffield Black’s were represented by Tim Harms, Henry Heath, Doug White, Jenna Fogden, Tabitha Ridgwell and Ania Klecun.

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Andrew Cowell – SDP

The General Election is fast approaching, and Sheffield's candidates have been busy campaigning for your vote. With political apathy increasing, understanding who you’re voting for...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Sam Chapman, Rejoin EU

Find out the main aim of the Rejoin EU party from Sheffield Hallam candidate Samuel Chapman, and how he will support students.

Sheffield Hallam/Central Candidate Spotlights: Workers Party of Britain

The Workers Party of Britain candidates (Caitlin Hardy in Sheffield Central, and Mo Moui-Tabrizy in Sheffield Hallam) weren’t able to arrange an interview, but...