A Tribute To Jack Charlton

On Friday, football lost one of its true greats when Jack Charlton died at the age of 85. 
The sheer volume of tributes that poured in following the announcement served as a testament to his popularity, as the loss was felt across the planet.
Although he was born in Northumberland, it was in Yorkshire that Jack Charlton earned his legendary status. A one club man throughout his playing career, the centre-back accumulated a club record 773 appearances. On the international stage, he was part of England’s World Cup-winning squad in 1966.
He was also revered by Sheffield Wednesday, a club that found themselves in crisis when he took the reins as manager in 1977. The Owls were rooted to the bottom of Division Three but were steered to safety by Charlton, and eventually won promotion under his tutelage in 1980. 
His replacement at Hillsborough, Howard Wilkinson, led Wednesday to promotion to the top flight in 1984 on foundations built by his predecessor. 
Despite being an England international during his playing days, Charlton was adored by the Republic of Ireland for being the man at the helm during a golden age for their national side. The nation’s first foreign manager was given the freedom of Dublin and honorary Irish citizenship due to his achievements, which included a run to the quarter-finals of the 1990 World Cup.
Away from the pitch, he gained the respect of people who cared little for sport with his passion for helping people. He marched with miners in Durham, having worked in the mines himself, and had applied to join the Police as a teenager when Leeds United came calling. 
A true legend in every sense of the word, he will not be forgotten. Rest in peace, big Jack.

🔴 General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Book Review: The Bee Sting ~ Paul Murray

I was convinced to buy The Bee Sting by a cashier at Waterstones. It had just been published in paperback at the beginning of...

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.