PL Final Day Preview: Southampton vs Sheffield United

Southampton welcome The Blades to the Saint Mary’s Stadium in what should be a celebratory affair, with both teams looking to finish their successful season’s on a high
Southampton had higher aspirations for the 2019/20 season, with Che Adams claiming they had a team which could challenge for the title, they would have liked to of least be battling for a Europa League spot.
Although, they have experienced a turbulent season which saw them lose 9-0 at home to Leicester and at Christmas were in the relegation zone.
Unlike many others in and around the drop, Southampton stuck with their manager and have revelled in the rewards, receiving a mid-table finish from the depths of the Premier League; hence a successful second part of the season. 
The Rocky Balboa award this season surely goes to Sheffield United, after being written off as relegation favourites and defined as “basic” by Garth Crooks, they used such criticism to fuel their run to the Top 10, whilst flirting briefly with European qualification and now looking at their best season since 1974. 
Both clubs have had unexpected season’s making history in positive and negative ways, but for these red and white sides, which at times were written off, they have achieved what many thought was unachievable.
Team News
Congratulations go to Lys Mousset whose wife recently gave birth to their first child, unfortunately however this means Wilder will not have his ‘pirate’ striker for Sunday’s fixture, as he’s flown back to France. 
Chris Wilder has admitted that the season has finally taken its toll on the Sheffield United squad, stating that he would have “a few issues” with selection; yet his competitive streak meant he still was not giving Ralph Hasenhuttl any inkling of who would be in the starting eleven. 
One certainty surely for The Saints starting eleven will have to be Danny Ings, who has shined through mediocrity and is now two goals off Jamie Vardy (the leader) for the golden boot.
Additionally, Jan Bednarek is looking to make his swift return to side, the mainstay of Saints defence was sidelined for their victory over Bournemouth but has now returned to full fitness; Sofaine Boufal and Moussa Djenepo remain unavailable. 
Previous Meetings 
Their last meeting saw Southampton come out on top with a narrow 1-0 away victory, after The Bladesmen made an unusual mistake at the back, which allowed Moussa Djenepo to strike home against Dean Henderson. Billy Sharp saw red in that game but will be returning to a stadium where he has fond memories, having scored the goal which sent Southampton to the Premier League in 2012. 
Sheffield United haven’t visited The Saints ground since 2009, where they ran away 2-1 victors in a season where the Blades lost in a Championship Playoff final and Southampton were relegated to League One; this is the Blades first top division visit to St Mary’s in 16 years
Ones to Watch
In a game where theirs nothing to win or lose in terms of the Team’s status, personal accolades are on the line, therefore the one to watch in this game is Danny Ings, who with two goals and a De Gea clean sheet would go level with Jamie Vardy for the golden boot.
Therefore, Ings will be looking to finish his redemptive season with a hattrick to finish on top of the tally and take home the golden boot. 
Coverage
On a busy day for SkySports, this fixture will be found on SkySports Mix, with kick-off being at 4 pm. 

🔴 General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Book Review: The Bee Sting ~ Paul Murray

I was convinced to buy The Bee Sting by a cashier at Waterstones. It had just been published in paperback at the beginning of...

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.