Black History Month: Diversify your playlist with these incredible Black artis

With October marking Black History Month we asked some of our contributors to give us the low down on some Black artists they love, and think deserve your attention.

Michael Kiwanuka 
Having recently won the prestigious Mercury Prize, Michael Kiwanuka is an artist I believe every music lover in this country should listen to. His music explores many themes, with the most relevant being the nuances and complexities of being a ‘Black Man In A White World’ – a track on Love & Hate (2016). 
Sonically, his influences derive from 70s soul which, at a time of division, helped strengthen and champion Black pride and culture. Kiwanuka’s discography is setting a similar precedent in 2020. His music is both informative and empowering, inclusive and enriching. KIWANUKA (2019) includes the song ‘Hero’ which examines racially-charged police brutality. Hearing this song in 2020, proves how history has done nothing but repeat itself. George Floyd was one example out of many.
Kiwanuka’s music expresses the pain inherent in the struggle for equality. It acts as a cathartic release, not only for him but for those affected by racial injustice. The unapologetic retro-soul single ‘You Ain’t The Problem’ embraces his identity and provides a hopeful message devoid of self-shame. It is crucial to hear first-hand experiences that can empower us to learn more and educate others. Kiwanuka’s music is a true example of the power within music to provide a platform and voice for the marginalised.
Sahar Ghadirian

Image: “Michael Kiwanuka” by volume12 (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

Bongeziwe Mabandla 
I first discovered Bongeziwe Mabandla from a screenshot on actress Florence Pugh’s Instagram story – an odd place to discover the work of a South African folk singer but from first listen I was hooked. His vocals, sung in his native Xhosa, layer beautifully with vibrant percussion and melodic guitar.
Although well known in southern Africa and France, Mabandla is woefully under appreciated in the UK. For anyone who is a fan of Bon Iver or Ben Howard, Mabandla is an artist to watch. His latest album, iimini, is a meditation on love and heartbreak that pushes the boundary of folk music, with Mabandla dipping his toes into electronica and soul. 
Mabandla sings entirely in Xhosa, a language from the Eastern Cape province in South Africa where he was born. When I first listened to Mabandla’s music I had never heard anyone sing in Xhosa before and was instantly mesmerised by how melodic and expressive his vocals are. Bongeziwe Mabandla’s music is a joy to listen to and is, without a doubt, the future of folk.
Kerry Lindeque
Image: “bongeziwe mabandla at the rise and shine festival, march 2014” by Vark1 is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Mahalia 
Long-time rising star Mahalia is an alternative R&B singer, raised in Leicestershire, who saw the release of her debut album Love & Compromise in September 2019. Raised by musician’s, Mahalia displayed an aptitude for singing and songwriting from a young age. Signed to a record label at only 13 and having attended Birmingham Ormiston Academy for Dance, she was recognised as one to watch. In 2015 she appeared on ‘We the Generation’ with Rudimental, her second EP ‘Never Change’ following shortly after. 
Eight years after signing, Mahalia shows us patience is a virtue as her debut album beautifully showcases her distinctive soulful coo, each track is truly unskippable – have a listen and you will want to play it to death. Luckily after you make yourself sick of Love & Compromise, you can move onto her lockdown gift to the world of Isolation Tapes where each track is better than the last. Her latest single with Justin Nozuka, released in the middle of October, reaches a new dreamy level of mellow – check it out and you won’t look back.
Bethan Morris
Image: “Mahalia” by kingArthur_aus is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Kofi Stone 
Kofi Stone has been on the steady rise ever since his debut track ‘Stories In Pyjamas’ back in 2017, garnering the love of fans and fellow musicians of his jazz rap niche along the way, including big names like Ady Suleiman and Loyle Carner. This all culminated in his 2019 debut album Nobody Cares Till’ Everyone Does, on which both feature.
For anyone who likes their hip-hop to have a narrative, a real meaning behind the words, Stone’s blend of 90s East Coast sound with intimate, heart on sleeve lyricism is one you cannot ignore. His rhymes are often based around his own struggles in life, from abusive stepfathers to untrusting relationships, yet his message is always one that champions opening up and talking about it. What also sets Stone apart is his delivery. It’s raw, unrefined and honest, it adds depth to his words and carries a unique emotion I’ve struggled to find amongst other rappers.
The beats to his tracks also can’t go a miss. Often minimalist in the approach to his brand of jazz infused hip-hop, the production is hazy and mellow, with occasional harder hitting breaks that provide tracks like ‘Busker Flow’ with the bite they need. Anyways, enough from me, just go listen already.
Thomas Hirst
Image: Matt Eachus

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Book Review: The Bee Sting ~ Paul Murray

I was convinced to buy The Bee Sting by a cashier at Waterstones. It had just been published in paperback at the beginning of...

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.