Heather Swift" />

Live Review: Brown Horse @ Sidney & Matilda

From the streets outside Sidney and Matilda on the evening of the 20th of March, echoes of strong, raw vocals, hazy guitar riffs and entrancing instrumentals could be heard as Brown Horse took to the stage with a presence that couldn’t be contained within the iconic venue’s four walls. The band have recently been touring for their debut album Reservoir, and on this night it was time for some of Sheffield’s music lovers to be mesmerised by their live performance.

Reservoir was recorded last summer over the span of just four days and despite being released in January it has no doubt already made its way onto many ‘Best Albums of 2024’ lists. An amalgamation of country rock, a hint of 70’s influence and remnants of their folk-quartet origins occasionally seeping through, this unlikely but perfect combination has created a sound for the band that could never be replicated by another. Each of the six musicians is truly a master of their artistry and irreplaceable to the band’s composition, with skilful song writing that balances them perfectly and gives each instrument time to shine.

As stunning as this album is, though, there is a beauty to their live performance that could never be truly captured in a recording studio and begs to be brought to life on a stage. Brown Horse is a band with so many intricacies and layers to their sound that being in the audience of their show feels less like simply watching a group of performers and more like exploring their musical depths and getting lost in the atmosphere together. 

As the very first guitar strums of ‘Stealing Horses’ rang out, the crowd fell instantly under their spell. Their setlist was a concoction of dreamy and gritty, and for the next hour the room was overflowing with the magic of Brown Horse’s music.

A unique and unmissable band with a genre-warping sound, Brown Horse are a must see, and definitely won’t be able to fit their crowd in venues like Sidney and Matilda for much longer. With the rest of their album tour to finish off followed by a string of festivals over the summer, these guys have a great year ahead of them, so catch them while you can!

Photo credit: Katie Jones Barlow

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...

Rose-tinted glasses: Do my favourite games stand the test of time?

After finishing the recent Fallout series on Amazon, I was left itching to jump back into Fallout 4, and with Bethesda’s announcement of a free next-gen update for the game shortly on the horizon, I started to wonder whether I’d love it as much as I did back in 2015.

Opinion: Should Celebrities star on Stage?

We are always seeing celebrity cast announcements for theatre shows: this year alone Self Esteem (Rebecca Lucy Taylor) has starred in the West End...

Disordered eating is not just ‘girl dinner’

TW: Discussion of mental health and eating disorders. According to explodingtopics.com, the average TikTok user spends 2 hours a...

Medics’ Revue raises £1700 for Sheffield children’s charity

The Sheffield Medics’ Revue society have announced that their 2024 show Back to the Suture has raised a phenomenal £1700 for the Bluebell Wood...

Sheffield art festival to celebrate local creatives

A local art festival is set to highlight the work and skill of creatives across Sheffield and the nearby areas this bank holiday weekend....