Report: Wednesday Win against Bournemouth after Bannan converts from the spot

Barry Bannan’s second half penalty secured a vital three points for Sheffield Wednesday after Steve Cook received his marching orders. Referee Jeremy Simpson was a busy man as Kadeem Harris also saw red. 
Sheffield Wednesday had the first big opening in this encounter, Elias Kachunga found space on the right hand side of the penalty area, he squared it looking for Josh Windass but Chris Mepham stepped in, only to divert the ball into the path of Adam Reach who’s instinctive effort was deflected just wide.
Five minutes later another great chance passed The Owls by. Barry Bannan whipped in a mouthwatering free-kick from wide right, Liam Palmer found himself un-marked on the edge of the six yard box. With Asmir Begovic baring down Palmer, who has just one goal for Wednesday during his 10-year professional career at Hillsborough, could only head wide of the upright.
Garry Monk saw his under pressure side have the best of the play in the opening half an hour. Good build up play allowed Kadeem Harris to get to the byline and chip towards the back-post. Kachunga was there with a diving header but had too much to do to keep his attempt on target.
34 minutes in and there were more encouraging signs, this time from Windass’ 30-yard free-kick which curled inches wide, much like his set-piece against Birmingham City although that time he did rattle the woodwork.
Bournemouth had to wait until the 40th minute to register their first chance and it came from a corner. Arnuat Danjuma swung it in for The Cherries and Mepham met the ball from six yards out but sent it way over the bar.
On the stroke of half-time Danjuma caused problems once again as the visitors ended the half strongly, this time directly as he let fly from range and his tricky effort needed to be tipped over the bar by Joe Wildsmith who took no chances.
Jason Tindall’s side started much brighter after the interval. Danjuma tested the handling of Wildsmith before Josh Kingwhistled the ball across the face of goal all inside the first five minutes of the second half and an even better chance came on 50 minutes.
King broke away after a poor defensive header from Dom Iorfa. The Wednesday centre-half recovered in a fashion but King escaped and beat Wildsmith to the ball to poke across goal to David Brooks. The former Sheffield United man had his shot blocked on the line by Julian Börner.
Shortly afterwards the hosts had another opportunity to go one goal to the good, another corner, this time from Bannan but nobody could connect until Palmer stabbed wide at the back-post.
As the game turned into an end-to-end encounter King had another chance with a header that he pulled wide and only 55 minutes had passed, a frantic few moments.
On 68 minutes Wednesday won a penalty, a brilliant ball from Barry Bannan over the top of the Bournemouth backline to Josh Windass who latched on and rounded Begovic only to be brought down by Steve Cook from behind. The experienced centre-half was duly given his marching orders and the Wednesday skipper Bannan stepped up and slotted straight down the middle past Begovic.
On 86 minutes as The Owls went searching for a second, a quick exchange of passes had Callum Paterson away towards goal but he was tracked all the way and his shot ended tame along the floor down the centre of the goal.
There was to be late drama however when Kadeem Harris joined Steve Cook when he was given a second yellow and sent for an early bath after a foul and a scuffle with Jefferson Lerma.
It wasn’t comfortable but Wednesday win at home, for just the second time in 2020.
Line-ups
Sheffield Wednesday (3-5-2): 
Wildsmith; Palmer, Iorfa, Börner; Odubajo, Pelupessy, Bannan, Kachunga (Paterson 79′), Harris (sent off 90+4′); Windass (Marriott 88′), Reach (Brown 83′)
Bournemouth (3-4-3):
Begovic; Mepham, S. Cook (sent off 69′), Kelly; Smith, Lerma, Gosling, Rico Salguero; Brooks (Solanke 66′), King, Danjuma (L. Cook 72′)

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

Why is everyone running half marathons all of a sudden?

You can run, but you can’t hide - half marathon fever is sweeping across our students like a newfound epidemic. Your friends are no...