Review: POWER UP – AC/DC

AC/DC’s newest record sounds like it could have come from almost any point in the band’s long history. Unfortunately, this is less due to a sense of timelessness and more a case of seriously arrested development.
The album is just utterly devoid of surprise. If you fed AC/DC’s entire discography into a bot, and told it to make an algorithm for the most statistically average AC/DC album possible, it couldn’t conceivably do better than POWER UP. This is because POWER UP is basically a rehash of AC/DC’s earlier effort Black Ice (2008), itself a do-over of Stiff Upper Lip (2000), which is a copy of The Razors Edge (1990), a reimagining of Back in Black (1980), which was a retooling of Highway to Hell (1979), which was essentially just riffing on Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (1976).
These guys have made the same album year after year, decade after decade, with the same jagged, angular riffs grooving over that faithful kick-snare-kick-snare drumbeat, treating the continuing progress of musical history with truly magnificent indifference. It’s the only thing that makes sense from a man who’s spent his entire career dressed as a schoolboy. Nirvana was just something that happened to other people.
Of course, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. AC/DC have built their legacy on these 3-chord bolts of hard-rock machismo, and if you expected change now, then more fool you. Age has not dented the band’s exuberance, and a few songs – ‘Demon Fire’, ‘Rejection’, ‘Through The Mists Of Time’ – will get you moving just because they’re too damn triumphant not too. But the fact is that most of the album is pretty middling and kind of forgettable. It’s not exactly bad. It’s just incredibly samey.
And herein lies the real problem. AC/DC’s image is one of loud, boisterous rebellion, and maybe in the early stages of their career this worked. But music that shocked in 1980 is the status-quo today, and even the band’s most devoted fans must be starting to wonder quite what it is that AC/DC actually have left to bring to the table. Instrumentally, thematically and lyrically, these songs are just the same as they always have been. “Speeding up the road, tearing up the highway code/ Ain’t gonna slow me down”, croons Brian Johnson on the record’s outro, ‘Code Red’. Now, where have we heard that before?
2/5
Image: Chuffmedia

Book Review: The Bee Sting ~ Paul Murray

I was convinced to buy The Bee Sting by a cashier at Waterstones. It had just been published in paperback at the beginning of...

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Andrew Cowell – SDP

The General Election is fast approaching, and Sheffield's candidates have been busy campaigning for your vote. With political apathy increasing, understanding who you’re voting for...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Sam Chapman, Rejoin EU

Find out the main aim of the Rejoin EU party from Sheffield Hallam candidate Samuel Chapman, and how he will support students.