Review: Collapsed In Sunbeams – Arlo Parks

If you’ve listened to the radio at any point during the past twelve months, you have probably come across someone who, for good reason, is quickly becoming a new household name in the world of mainstream soul and R&B music – Arlo Parks.

It’s shocking to believe that Collapsed in Sunbeams is Parks’ first album – her voice feels timeless, her sound uniquely familiar, her vibe refreshingly reflective. It’s a masterpiece bound in the ethereal; peppered with individual, yet relatable stories, and Parks’ clever track-list curation makes each tale a complement to the next.

Throughout the record, your brain is whisked away into a relaxed yet plaintive state, one that is truly inspiriting, and is what makes this album an essential listen – if not for Parks’ clever interpretation of the soul genre, certainly for her emotional literary skill which proves she is a master of her craft.

Sometimes, if you’re a passive listener, it’s difficult to appreciate the emotion, tenderness and artistry behind an artist’s musical intention. However, what Arlo Parks expertly demonstrates here, is that the understated can still have the power to stop you in your tracks. 

To this end, it’s gratifying to see many outlets expressing their support (and love) for an artist who may be, to many, relatively left-field.

The album battles also frequently with pertinent themes of mental health and youthful naivety, to an unfalteringly beautiful degree. This poetic nature paired with present day societal appreciation for reflection and self care, means that Collapsed in Sunbeams is most certainly ‘of its time’.

Yet its melancholy is never depressing, it swims maturely in these troubled waters, and the timely release makes right now feel all too right for some raw, emotional and introspective music to be making waves on the mainstream stage.

From the cathartic undertones of Black Dog to hopeful, yet apprehensive themes in Hurt, this album isn’t afraid to tackle issues which many people feel they have had to cower away from.

Arlo Parks’ debut album is intentionally provocative, emotional and appreciative. She shows herself to be a poet first and foremost; her vulnerable compositions are a veritable treat for the ears, and even more wonderful to indulge with if you’re feeling reflective and in need of a fresh perspective. 

5/5 stars.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Andrew Cowell – SDP

The General Election is fast approaching, and Sheffield's candidates have been busy campaigning for your vote. With political apathy increasing, understanding who you’re voting for...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Sam Chapman, Rejoin EU

Find out the main aim of the Rejoin EU party from Sheffield Hallam candidate Samuel Chapman, and how he will support students.