Lack of funding means thousands will continue to feel unsafe in Sheffield’s parks

Sheffield City council have released a statement responding to the petition for more lighting in Sheffield’s parks, claiming that budget cuts and a lack of funding will mean the parks cannot be fully lit.

The petition was set up by the intersectional feminist campaign group Our Bodies, Our Streets at the University of Sheffield in a bid for additional lighting in order to make people feel safer when using the parks after sunset.

Evie Hairsine, a second year Politics and International Relations student and founder of Our Bodies, Our Streets, says it is more important than ever that people have safe access to the parks when daily exercise is crucial to mental health during lockdown. 

A similar petition was launched in 2017, when a 21-year-old woman was reportedly sexually assaulted in Western Park. Four years later, as the petition states: “women and marginalised people still feel unsafe due to the lack of lighting in our parks, and experience heightened vulnerability to being followed or sexually assaulted.” 

Hairsine said: “The fact the original petition came from someone being sexually assaulted in a park suggests that could happen again, and it shouldn’t have to happen before something is done.”

Mary Lea, cabinet member for culture, parks and leisure in Sheffield, in a statement responding to the petition acknowledged the importance links between Sheffield’s green spaces and physical and mental wellbeing. However, was unable to offer any reassurance of change.

“We work extremely hard to make our parks as accessible, attractive, user friendly and well-maintained as possible but unfortunately there are limits to what we can do with the funding available to us. We bid for additional funding at every opportunity. 

Lea added: “Installation of lighting and the ongoing maintenance required is very costly and would take a huge amount of our already depleted budget and with more than 800 green spaces across the city.

“Anyone thinking of using the parks in the early morning or the evening to keep themselves safe by going out in pairs or with members of your household or bubble, even in well-lit areas, as lighting gives no guarantee of personal safety.”

Following the statement by the city council, the campaign group, Our Bodies, Our Streets, is now asking to meet with the council to discuss interventions that can make the parks feel safer.

Speaking to Forge Press, Hairsine explained: “The council have responded to our media messages and highlighted their severe financial constraints and difficulties in providing more lighting in the parks – it is a very complex process involving fitting new power lines, and they have faced severe budget cuts under austerity over the past decade.

“Our next step is to try and enter into a conversation directly with the council about feasible interventions to improve resident feelings of safety, such as a pilot study of lighting in one or two local parks. We want to design, based on the views of our supporters, some creative and affordable interventions.

“We want to raise awareness of this as a national issue and ask the national government to channel more resources into promoting outdoor exercise for all groups and making public space equal by using lighting and safety measures. 

“We want to emphasise that the council are not an enemy here and that we are keen to work alongside them and pool our resources to make residents feel safer.”

Hairsine also noted that for most students, the park is the most convenient way to get home after studying at the library. 

The petition insists that putting more lights in our parks will make the city “healthier, happier and more welcoming for all.”

We are really pleased with the number of people who have signed our petition (nearly 4000) and it demonstrates how important the issue of feeling safe is for people in Sheffield, especially for marginalised groups.”

Photo Credit: Alison Romaine

🔴 Sheffield Eagles v York Knights: LIVE updates from the RFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from the OLP Stadium as Sheffield Eagles host York Knights in the RFL Championship.

SUTCo & SUPAS open auditions for upcoming shows

The groups have announced audition details for all five of their upcoming productions

Exhibition Review: Examining the Eye

A creative exploration of how we see the world that can occasionally become lost in the miasma of medical jargon

English Society announce 2024/25 committee

The departmental society names their leadership ahead of Freshers Week

Book Review: Political Tribes ~ Amy Chua

As divisions become baked into society, how do we begin to get past it?

Lib Dems name new Culture Spokesperson in seismic reshuffle

New MP Max Wilkinson has replaced veteran MP Jamie Stone as Culture Spokesperson, with half of 2019 Lib Dems losing their portfolios

Opinion: How far is too far?

God you just can’t say anything anymore...