Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak will be fined after the police have deemed them to have broken their own lockdown rules. 

The Prime Minister and Chancellor have been notified by the Metropolitan Police that they will be issued fixed penalty notices as a result of the investigation into Partygate allegations dating back to the first lockdown in 2020.

There have been many calls for both the PM and Sunak to resign as a result of the fines, which means Johnson will be the first sitting PM to be found to have broken the law.

On Twitter, Labour Leader, Keir Starmer, said: “Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak have broken the law and repeatedly lied to the British public. 

“The Conservatives are totally unfit to govern. Britain deserves better.” 

Allegations of illegal parties in Downing Street emerged towards the end of 2021, with Sue Gray charged with investigating whether any breaches of lockdown rules were made. 

When the Met Police decided to investigate, the Gray reports full release was postponed.

Allegations of lockdown breaches included leaving dos, birthday parties and work drinks in the Downing Street garden. 

Kate Josephs, former CEO of Sheffield City Council, was confirmed to have attended a lockdown breaching event in Downing Street before assuming her new role in Sheffield. 

Josephs is still on paid annual leave whilst the Council investigates. Her base salary is over £200,000 per annum. 

Many breaches were under the same lockdown rules which University of Sheffield students were fined a total of £34,000 by police for a party in Ranmoor student village in 2020. 

The party was attended by 150 people and the stampedes to escape the event result in one South Yorkshire Police Officer being injured. 

More than 30 fines of £800 were administered and the organisers were fined the maximum £10,000 penalty. 

The exact value of the fines to be issued to Johnson and Sunak are yet to be revealed.