£800,000 of £3 billion Covid-19 relief fund given to students

2,200 students have been supported with a collective £800,000 by the University of Sheffield through the Covid-19 relief fund.

The fund was put in place by the University to support students to cover losses caused by the pandemic.

Additional costs or a significant reduction in income means that you are eligible to apply for the support.

Shaye Mistry, a 21-year-old History and Politics student, has benefited from the funding. He said that the application process is really quick and accessible and the money has eased the pressure of juggling work and studies.

He said: “As a final year History and Politics student who has to complete a dissertation and a research project this semester the fund has provided relief for me this semester helping towards my rent.”

Mistry was let go from his role as a nursery assistant in the Student’s Union meaning he received no furlough pay. He also missed out of a whole month of work at a Covid-19 testing centre.

He told Forge Press he received £2,400 after only initially asking for £600.

The funding can cover costs such as: private Covid-19 tests required for travel, increase in costs due to periods of self-isolation, increased utility bills due to working from home, significant losses of income because of the pandemic and to cover costs of paying for accommodation in more than one location.

Anna Harper, a 21-year-old History student, also praised the University for the ease of application.

She said: “I initially worried that without access to my payslips I did not have the right forms to make my application eligible, but the University were very helpful in pointing to alternatives such as bank statements to provide the right proof.

“After losing my part-time job, I was concerned about starting University without the disposable income I had relied on for the past two years. The grant from the University was generous and definitely alleviated the stress of finances, which was much appreciated.

Anna received £1,600 in support funding.

She said: “The grant has also enabled me to buy further resources for my dissertation research, in this climate this is something I am extremely grateful for, as access to resources are understandably massively constrained this year.”

A spokesperson for the University said: “To date, more than 2,200 students have been supported with over £800,000 of funds, to help with a wide range of circumstances, such as loss of earnings, support and improvements for working and studying from home and travel expenses.

“Supporting our students’ health and wellbeing is our top priority, so we encourage students to apply, or reapply, to the fund so that we can continue to support those whose circumstances are affected by ongoing government restrictions.

“We are thankful to our University community for the support shown to each other during this difficult time and we will continue to work with our Students’ Union to do all we can to support our students.”

Holly Ellis, SU Welfare Officer, has also encouraged students to continue applying for the funding on offer.

She said: “We know from feedback that the Covid Support Fund has been helpful for many students and there is still money left, so we strongly encourage those who haven’t already to apply for any covid induced financial hardship they have experienced. Especially after the university received about £260,000 extra from the Government’s £50 million grant.

“This could be for technology or connectivity issues, a desk to study at, part time work that has been lost – these are just a few examples.

“It’s vital that students are able to access the Covid Support Fund and that applications are accepted. Students need to ensure that they have sufficient evidence to attach to their application.

“The Student Advice Centre are on hand to help with applications, so I also encourage students to get in touch with them if they feel like they need any support with their application or reapplication – as you can apply again even if you were rejected the first time around.”

🔴 Sheffield Eagles v York Knights: LIVE updates from the RFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from the OLP Stadium as Sheffield Eagles host York Knights in the RFL Championship.

SUTCo & SUPAS open auditions for upcoming shows

The groups have announced audition details for all five of their upcoming productions

Exhibition Review: Examining the Eye

A creative exploration of how we see the world that can occasionally become lost in the miasma of medical jargon

English Society announce 2024/25 committee

The departmental society names their leadership ahead of Freshers Week

Book Review: Political Tribes ~ Amy Chua

As divisions become baked into society, how do we begin to get past it?

Lib Dems name new Culture Spokesperson in seismic reshuffle

New MP Max Wilkinson has replaced veteran MP Jamie Stone as Culture Spokesperson, with half of 2019 Lib Dems losing their portfolios

Opinion: How far is too far?

God you just can’t say anything anymore...