Sheffield Student rent strikers call on University to “show us some consideration” at protest

The pandemic has greatly affected the running of schools and universities across the UK, with some arguing that students have been among those most neglected throughout the various lockdowns.

One of the most debated areas of this neglect surrounds rent on accommodation, both university and privately owned.

In response to Boris Johnson’s lockdown orders in early January 2021, many universities offered rent rebates to students unable to return, yet to some this wasn’t enough.

On Sunday 25 April, following the Arts Tower occupation two days prior, students gathered in Weston Park in order to lobby the university about rent payments, a protest organised by University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University Rent Strike.  

Dan, Chair of the Rent Strike Committee, explained  that the protest was a result of the University of Sheffield’s “scant regard for students’ mental health and wellbeing” and that the University “has time and time again ignored student calls for greater regard for our health and  well-being”.

Whilst the reason for the protest seemed somewhat unclear on social media, Dan confirmed that the ultimate goal is to ask the “university to show us some consideration for the year we’ve had and give us a direct, material, economic rebate that is reflective of the year we’ve been through”.

There were only around 15-20 people at the protest, although some members from the Rent Strike committee were themselves  unable to attend due to the  current Arts Tower occupation, which was confirmed to continue past Sunday.

Students at Sheffield Hallam are also occupying the Cantor Building on Arundel Street along with University of Manchester and University of Nottingham students also occupying University buildings until their demands are met. 

When asked about the occupation in the University of Sheffield Arts Tower, Dan assured us that it is going well but that  “security has locked the two fire doors closest to us and turned off the heating”.  

However the University has countered this  saying that “four out of the five doors are open” and that “students were made aware of this and fully briefed by security staff last weekend”.  

A University of Sheffield spokesperson says that “The University of Sheffield supports the ability of students to express their views peacefully within the law. However the University does not condone occupation of a building which causes disruption for other students and we would ask those in occupation to leave”. 

Despite this, the five students currently occupying the building are hoping to “enter a dialogue” with the University because “as it stands the University has never acknowledged the rent strike”.

Also present at the protest was the Sheffield branch of the Socialist party who said that during the pandemic, “Marketisation has left students high and dry, paying extortionate fees for education that they are not receiving”.

In regards to the Arts Tower occupation, the chair of the Socialist Party said that they “fully support the direct action of students”. 

Yet some students have expressed concerns relating to the extension of this occupation  as they face end of term deadlines that require access to the  building. The Rent Strike Chair was keen to express that they are not  “stopping any students from entering the Arts Tower” and that they “are not a threat to any students”.  

The student turnout was made up of both University of Sheffield and Hallam students. Two Hallam students said that  they were “told we’d have mixed learning” however they have only “been in once”.

Two final year language students at the protest, who returned to Sheffield for this academic year after having their years abroad cut short, said they thought that the University has handled this year “badly” but that “the tutors get a bad rep from it because they are doing their best”.

When asked to comment on the protest, the University of Sheffield said that “We understand this has been an incredibly difficult year for students and throughout the pandemic we have been working hard to support them in the best possible way”.

When asked about their experience this year, one said  that it hasn’t been great as she was  “having to do all my lectures on my phone”. Both students praised the University’s introduction of the Covid Fund however pointed out that “it’s hard to access if you’re not in desperate need of it”.

Whilst unfortunate that the turnout wasn’t bigger, the protest highlighted that students who are unhappy with the university are ready to take action.

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

Why is everyone running half marathons all of a sudden?

You can run, but you can’t hide - half marathon fever is sweeping across our students like a newfound epidemic. Your friends are no...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...