International students in Sheffield contribute over £300m to the local economy, a new report finds.

International Students in Sheffield bring £313 million worth of benefits to the local economy, a new report by Universities UK International (UUKi) and the Higher Education Policy Institute (HEPI) has found. 

According to the study, Sheffield residents are better off by roughly £2520 per person directly because of the financial benefit brought by international students. 

Professor Koen Lamberts, President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sheffield, said: “We are very proud that Sheffield is renowned for being an inclusive and welcoming city. This report reflects the extensive contribution that our international students make, not only to our University but to the wider community.”

In the 2018/19 academic year, the financial contribution from international students in Sheffield Central was £290 million.

The report was published on 9 September and provides an in-depth analysis of the significant contribution of international students to the economy in the UK.

In 2018/19, there were 496,000 international students studying at higher education institutions across the UK, making up 20% of the total number of students in University.

The report, which features research from London Economics, provides results for each of the Westminster constituencies, of which there are 650.

The report concludes that the economical benefits of hosting international students clearly outweighs the cost of doing so.

The Director of HEPI, Nick Hillman, said: “International students do not just bring financial benefits. They also bring educational benefits by making our campuses more diverse and exciting places to be. To make the most of these benefits, we need to provide a warm welcome, ensure our educational offer remains competitive and help international students secure fulfilling careers after study.”

The contribution to the economy from international students in Sheffield Central places it as the top parliamentary constituency in the UK in terms of financial benefit.

Despite this, international students have been faced with uncertainty in recent years due to the impacts of Brexit and Covid-19 which affected tuition fee structures and accessibility to international institutions.

The report found that in August 2021, compared to the year before, the acceptance of  EU students onto undergraduate courses was 56% lower. 

Vivienne Stern, the director of UUKi said: “This study provides a stark reminder of their financial importance to communities across the UK, economic recovery and the levelling up agenda. We now need fresh ideas and stronger momentum to achieve the UK Government’s international education strategy target of attracting at least 600,000 international students every year by 2030 and the good this will bring to everyone.”

The University of Sheffield recognises the contribution of international students both economically and culturally, highlighted by the #WeAreInternational campaign that was  launched in 2013.

The campaign was run in partnership with Sheffield Students’ Union and aimed to cement the recognition of the positive impact of international students and staff in universities across the UK.

#WeAreInternational was supported by over 160 universities, educational institutions and international organisations.

President and Vice-Chancellor, Professor Koen Lamberts, said that “We are very proud that Sheffield is renowned for being an inclusive and welcoming city. This report reflects the extensive contribution that our international students make, not only to our University but to the wider community.’

Image credit: wikimedia commons

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....