Should fans be patient with Darren Moore?

It has been over ten years since Sheffield Wednesday sat this low in the footballing pyramid. Currently 12th, The Owls started brightly but have since stumbled between defeats to Morecambe, Plymouth Argyle and Oxford United, a drab draw against Shrewsbury Town at Hillsborough and a throwing away of all three points at Ipswich Town.

The faithful have become restless, especially in recent weeks. ‘Moore out’ murmurs began with the odd few but have since grown into a small tribe. Manager Darren Moore must find a way of turning the tide before any more Wednesdayites begin to question his position at the club. 

Personally, I think patience is still essential. Fourteen new players, a complete overhaul of the squad, would have me strongly question the decision to sack the manager, who completed the summer transition after just ten league games. A victory on Saturday against Bolton Wanderers would see Wednesday join The Trotters on 18 points, having played a game less than their Lancashire counterparts.

Without doubt, on paper, this Sheffield Wednesday side would hold its own in the lower reaches of the Championship, perhaps better than last year’s relegated squad. 

While in reality, another season in the third tier was never going to be a walk in the park, early victories against Doncaster Rovers, Fleetwood Town, and Rotherham United set the bar high.

Moore must now find a winning formula, and quickly, with the obvious quality which he has brought through the door, at some point, one of Wednesday’s opponents will suffer a four or five-goal rout, but at the moment, things are struggling to click. It’s hard to put your finger on it, yet something is evidently missing. 

While some of the not so patient fans will be expecting a place in the topic six at Christmas, I feel that Darren Moore should be given until the end of the season regardless of position, within reason. Either way, Darren Moore needs to carefully evaluate his tactics if he wants to maintain his popularity.

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

Why is everyone running half marathons all of a sudden?

You can run, but you can’t hide - half marathon fever is sweeping across our students like a newfound epidemic. Your friends are no...