Jason Rose" />

Robot Dolphins offer hope for a cruelty-free alternative to future theme parks

Did you ever go to SeaWorld as a child? If so, I’d be willing to guess that you feel a little uneasy about it looking back now.  moral concerns around keeping animals in sustained captivity have become much more public and pressing over the last decade. 

The UK has not held dolphins in captivity since 1993, and the remaining parks around the world are being pressured to stop by various conservation groups. Despite these criticisms, millions of people visit theme parks every year with the misguided hope of having a ‘close experience’ with a dolphin or whale, making the financial incentive large enough to slow the rate of change to a less than ideal pace. However, a new mechanical marvel may be able to please both executives and ecologists: the robotic dolphin.

The ‘cruelty-free’ alternative to live dolphins was created when New Zealand researchers partnered with Hollywood animatronics experts with years of experience designing robotic versions of real – and sometimes quite surreal – creatures. Unlike the mechanical Great White used in Jaws, these ‘dolphins’ are almost indistinguishable from the real thing; and cost a whopping £19 million each

High cost is the first factor that could limit the success of this technology, since companies such as SeaWorld will need to take in a lot of revenue to recoup their initial investments. There is also the possibility that maintenance and replacement will generate further costs in the future, although the cost of this compared to veterinary bills that parks currently pay is unclear. 

However, as charities such as WWF and Whale & Dolphin Conservation tirelessly campaign for cetaceans to be ‘safe and free’, there will hopefully come a time in the near future when keeping animals in captivity for our entertainment is not an option.

However, even if keeping live dolphins is off the table, investors would also need to consider whether tourists would pay to visit mechanical substitutes for animals in captivity. Whilst ‘dinosaur parks’ are often a hit with young children, less morally conscious consumers are likely to argue that they would prefer to see the real thing. 

Moreover, many people visit places like SeaWorld out of a love for animals and a desire to feel a connection with them. Since these robots will likely not be sentient for a very long time, can they provide this level of immersion for tourists? Many people, including myself, would argue that such ‘up close and personal’ encounters with captive animals belong in a bygone age.

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...