Relegation from the Premier League was a clear sign that Sheffield United needed a change in management.

The handover from Chris Wilder to Slavisa Jokanovic was supposed to be that change, but after just 22 games, it seems the board has had a change of plan.

The club confirmed Jokanovic’s departure in a statement released this afternoon which announced that Paul Heckingbottom would replace the Serbian.

Heckingbottom is no stranger to the club, having acted as an interim manager between March and May.

He has also had a successful period managing the U23s, Leeds United, and Burnley.

In the statement, the club explained that they had not seen improvement in results from Jokanovic and would ‘prefer to be in a better league position.

This makes Paul Heckingbottom an interesting choice.

He lost 8 of 11 games while in charge of the Blades last season, making him statistically less successful than Slavisa Jokanovic while in the position.

Fans have taken to Twitter to express their confusion at the decision and feel that the Serbian deserved more time in the role.

One fan said:

Sheffield United are currently 16th in the Championship league table, one position below Middlesbrough. 

This was a drastic fall from grace for a side who were once playing amongst the top teams in English football last season.  

But was six months long enough for Slavisa Jokanovic to prove his worth at the club?

Within the last few hours, the board stated in a press conference that:

‘Paul won’t be judged on what happens on a Saturday afternoon’.

Another strange announcement considering their sacking of Jokanovic was entirely results-based.

Heckingbottom has signed a four and a half year deal with the Sheffield side, and fans will be hoping that this surprise change to the team will bring results.

There is a sense of scepticism from fans about this decision as the team enter the second half of the season, and there is no doubt that the promises from the board today will be remembered.

If the team knuckles down and plays well, finishing at the top end of the table is not impossible. 

If the Blades want to keep the confidence of their fans and prove that this decision was the right one, a sharp improvement in the team’s performance is needed.