The question on the severity of OMICRON has delayed the government’s final decisions on future restrictions.

Over the last few weeks, after the exposure of the alleged Downing Street Christmas parties, the government has been under immense pressure to address the rise of Covid cases.

Although so far there are no plans set in place, the rumoured ‘Plan B’ which first emerged months ago seems more and more inevitable with cases in the UK rising quickly.

‘Plan B’ currently consists of Covid passes for certain events, mandatory face masks on public transport and shops, and people being urged to work from home. 

Published by the Mirror, a potential ‘step two’ is being debated by the Prime Minister banning social gatherings indoors and foreign holidays and higher education being made remote.

This rule would mean the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam would close its doors on students for a second time and move to online teaching, potentially affecting another year of results, but this has not yet been disclosed by the government.

The biggest known issue for the government, however, is getting the public on side due to the anger felt after the latest revelations exposed, and the failure to take responsibility by Johnson. 

The latest total number of daily confirmed cases is at 91,743, however due to the COVID vaccinations, the number of hospitalisations are not as prominent.

This does not mean that the severity is not significant and has led to opposing parties criticising the PM and the cabinet.

The Shadow Health Secretary, Wes Streeting, accused Mr Johnson of having “absolutely nothing new to say, no plan whatsoever”.

He also added: “Boris Johnson is paralysed by weakness because of fear of his own backbenchers… no-one wants to bite the bullet and level with the public this side of Christmas.”

There is a continuous mention of Johnson’s “refusal to rule out” extra restrictions, however nothing has been written within law. So far, the current government guidelines of ‘hands, face space’ is the policy being urged to the public.  

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

Why is everyone running half marathons all of a sudden?

You can run, but you can’t hide - half marathon fever is sweeping across our students like a newfound epidemic. Your friends are no...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...