Quiet and understated winter window could still go a long way for Sheffield United

The January transfer window was an opportunity for Sheffield United to build on an up-and-down season that can still see them make the playoffs. A shaky start has since led to a run of six wins in the last eight games amidst a lengthy break to COVID suspensions. With an important run ahead, it was vital for the Blades to make the right additions to their squad but also trim the fat.

On paper, it feels like they have. A bloated attack has now been reduced, with the departures of Lys Mousset and Oliver Burke to Salernitana and Millwall. The Frenchman displayed promise in his debut season after a ten million move, with six goals in the Premier League, but has struggled to keep fit. Despite three goals this season, he has played just under 600 minutes in the last one and a half years, and with an expiring contract, will have played his last game. Burke has also found it difficult to capture his early career promise and produce attacking returns despite being a willing member of the squad.

One other key departure was of the loanee Robin Olsen, a keeper with European pedigree who found it difficult to adjust to the league and conceded 17 goals in 11 games. There were also departures for squad members Luke Freeman, Adlene Guedioura, Michael Verrips and youngsters Zak Brunt and Regan Slater.

The squad is now lean and balanced. Adam Davies arrived from Stoke on a six-month deal to provide Wes Foderingham competition in goal. Charlie Goode was the key addition from Brentford on loan. The 26-year-old centre-back has played less than he would like in the last two seasons but will now provide competition at the back. 

Having kept hold of Morgan Gibbs-White on loan, crucial to their aspirations, they have also recalled Daniel Jebbison from Burton Albion after an injury to Rhian Brewster. Crucially, the Blades have cut a considerable amount in wages. It is certainly a positive for the club, which is now better off both on and off-field. They’re now better equipped in the run-in and will hope to make a late charge for the play-offs.

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Andrew Cowell – SDP

The General Election is fast approaching, and Sheffield's candidates have been busy campaigning for your vote. With political apathy increasing, understanding who you’re voting for...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Sam Chapman, Rejoin EU

Find out the main aim of the Rejoin EU party from Sheffield Hallam candidate Samuel Chapman, and how he will support students.

Sheffield Hallam/Central Candidate Spotlights: Workers Party of Britain

The Workers Party of Britain candidates (Caitlin Hardy in Sheffield Central, and Mo Moui-Tabrizy in Sheffield Hallam) weren’t able to arrange an interview, but...