VARSITY 2022: Uni of Sheffield slam four past Hallam in Men’s 2s Football

The University of Sheffield came out on top as they faced Sheffield Hallam in the Men’s 2s Football on Wednesday afternoon.

The men in Black and Gold took home the all-important Varsity point, as centre forward and top scorer Kieran Aubrey netted twice to help his side win 4-1.

Aubrey opened the scoring with just a few minutes on the clock, firing coolly past the Hallam ‘keeper in the six-yard box. Right back Ed Berry had sent a delightful ball down the line to Victory Akam, who squared the ball into the path of the Uni of number nine.

This early opener for Uni of Sheffield fired up Team Hallam as they fought back to grab an equaliser around 20 minutes later. A header from a set piece found its way into the net off the post – and to everyone’s surprise – the goalkeeper’s face. 1-1 and all to play for once more.

Hallam then kicked on for the rest of the first half, looked the more dominant of the two sides, and even had a goal disallowed. But they were unable to find a second and it was all square going into the break.

The momentum shifted at the start of the second 45, as Uni of Sheffield began to get into their stride and at the 55-minute mark they were in the lead once again through Victory Akam, as he nodded in from a looped cross.

From that point on it looked like only one team would run out victorious, and this proved true as Uni of Sheffield grabbed a third. Left winger Bruno Brown won a penalty just minutes after coming onto the field, and it was converted by Lorenzo Thornhill to gain a two-goal lead.

Kieran Aubrey then put the game beyond doubt in the 77th minute, latching onto a pinpoint long ball over the top and striking into the top right corner to score his second of the game.

Reaction from the Head Coaches:

Tom Donlon, Hallam Men’s 2s Head Coach, said: “It’s been a long season. The boys have worked tirelessly, and they didn’t quite get the bounce of the ball in a scrappy game.

“Sheffield took their chances a bit better to be fair and they probably deserved the win.”

Siamak Zaad, Uni of Men’s 2s Head Coach, said: “We deserved to win the game. We dominated and controlled with our game plan to stop their long ball tactic.

“In the second half we tried to utilise our wingers a bit more and we scored three great goals to win the game.

“Kieran Aubrey was brilliant today and he was unlucky not to get a hat-trick. I’m proud to coach these players and we’re delighted to get the win.”

Ways to make the most of the sun this summer

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...

SUTCo reveals 2 original scripts in semester 1 programme

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have revealed their semester 1 programme for the 2024/25 academic year. The group, which aim to put on...