Over the next fortnight, annual Festival of Debate will open its floors to the likes of former Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn, Chella Quint, Jackie Weaver and Shon Faye on a range of topics including the future of democracy, race equality and trans rights.

The annual festival began two weeks ago in Sheffield. In 2021, the festival live-streamed over 40 events and took place entirely online. This years festival is blended, with some events taking place online and others in person.

Shon Faye, author of The Transgender Issue

Starting with an online seminar, ‘How Government Plans Threaten Journalists and Whistle-blowers’, a variety of talks have been given so far on topics ranging from ‘The Future of News’ to social innovation in the North.

The Festival of Debate launched in 2015 with the hope of ‘bringing people together to share new ideas.’ Its main aim is to create a non-partisan environment where everyone and anyone can discuss important issues in the hope of creating movement toward social change.

This year, the festival has been spread across multiple venues in Sheffield, including the Octagon where Jeremy Corbyn will give a talk about his career and involvement in social justice movements on Monday 16th May.

Some of the events are free of charge, such as ‘The Future of Democracy Hub Day’ on the 21st happening in Sheffield Town Hall.

Most of the 2021 talks are available via YouTube or the Festival of Debate website.

To see the full festival programme, purchase tickets and access the content from 2021, visit: festivalofdebate.com

Image Credits: Festival of Debate