Ins and Outs – What Sheffield Wednesday’s summer transfer business could mean for their 2022/23 League One season.

When Patrick Roberts stabbed home for Sunderland in the 93rd minute of the play-off final second leg, dejection filled Hillsborough once more. A feeling Wednesdayites have become all too accustomed to. Dejection became worry in the coming days and weeks. Would The Owls be able to retain key players? Barry Bannan, Dominic Iorfa, Josh Windass and Lee Gregory were just four names of many who it could be argued are playing below their level in League One despite an inconsistent season as a collective. 

Windass came closest to moving on when interest arose from Argentina, which never materialised. When it came to out-of-contract players, Darren Moore opted to extend Jack Hunt’s deal a further year. Joe Wildsmith and Nathaniel Mendez-Liang were offered new contracts, but both decided to leave and join Derby County. Massimo Luongo was also out of contract and left the club, a big void to be filled given his performances last season. Meanwhile, Saido Berahino and Sam Hutchinson were not offered new deals. The latter was a slight surprise, but the 32-year-old perhaps should never have returned to the club after a spell in Cyprus. Chey Dunkley also left as a free agent. 

To fill the sizeable hole left by Luongo’s departure, Moore added 28-year-old Will Vaulks on a free transfer after leaving Cardiff City. A shrewd addition and a like-for-like replacement for the Australian. Defensive reinforcements have also arrived at Hillsborough.

Ben Heneghan joined on a free transfer from Wimbledon, as did Akin Famewo, who signed from Norwich City having spent two years on loan at Charlton Athletic. Heneghan has looked particularly solid in pre-season fixtures and notched his first goal for the club in their final pre-season friendly at Wigan Athletic last Saturday.

Then, Wednesday decided to raid neighbours Rotherham United for League One top scorer Michael Smith and centre half Michael Ihekwe. Both were pivotal in the Millers’ promotion to the Championship last term. Wednesday really took the Michael out of Rotherham, signing the pair of them on the same day. 

Darren Moore knew he would need at least one new goalkeeper. Cameron Dawson returned from an extremely successful season loan with Exeter City that saw him help the Grecians to promotion to League One. He also picked up player of the season awards. Despite this, Moore acquired David Stockdale on a free transfer from Wycombe Wanderers. The experienced stopper kept the most clean sheets in League One last campaign and was key in the Chairboy’s run to the play-off final. 

As the new season drew closer, Moore added another option at left back, Reece James, not that one, who signed on a season-long loan from Blackpool. James and Moore have worked together previously at Doncaster Rovers, and Moore was keen to bring him to Hillsborough, having missed out on his signature last summer. Tyreeq Bakinson also penned a deal. The defensive midfielder joined from Bristol City. 

On the whole, Moore’s transfer business has once again seemed very good, time will tell whether the new crop of signings will fire The Owls to automatic promotion, but on paper, the squad certainly appears stronger than this time last year. Another signing or two wouldn’t go a miss, there are rumours of Rangers striker Kemar Roofe making the switch, and the Malik Wilks fiasco is still rumbling on. Regardless, Wednesday should, with the emphasis on should, have enough to make the top two this season. 

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...