Lucy Riddell (she/her)" />

Off the Shelf: festival preview

Off the Shelf literary festival is set to make a roaring return to Sheffield for its 31st edition this October. Partnered with Arts Council England and Sheffield Hallam University, Off the Shelf boasts a whopping 86 live events over the course of just over two weeks (14th-30th October). These events are accessible either online or in various venues across the city and surrounding area. Whether you want to hear Susie Dent talk about her new Emotional Dictionary, learn about how the working men’s club shaped modern Britain, or connect with publishers to talk about your own work, there is a place for you at Off the Shelf. The events range from performance art, to poetry or book readings, to interactive Q&As with the best in the business. The festival is organised by the University of Sheffield, and features this year seven online events, all either short films or podcasts, by academics from the University, talking about their research. Catch Professor Johnathan Rayner exploring Australian horror cinema, or Dr Hannah Fairbrother’s talk about the essential role of young people in tackling health inequality.

Students can purchase discounted tickets to almost all events this year for just £5 each. Tickets are currently on sale via the Off the Shelf website.

Some must-see events this year are sure to be:

• The Long Knives: Irvine Welsh, acclaimed author of Trainspotting, joins Off the Shelf online to discuss with journalist Nick Ahad the highly-anticipated second instalment in his CRIME trilogy.
  • Standing on the Shoulders: Full of hope and positivity, TV journalist Dan Walker’s new book celebrates everyday heroes in less-than-everyday scenarios.
  • The Poetry Pharmacy Returns: William Sieghart, the founder of National Poetry Day, is back after huge demand with his follow-up collection to the highly popular Poetry Pharmacy.
  • Linton Kwesi Johnson: The first black poet to have his work included in Penguin’s Modern Classics, the ‘father of dub poetry’ will celebrate his 70th birthday and 50th year of activism in 2022. The next Sheffield poet laureate is set to be announced after his performance.
  • Words, Vision & Sound: Put together by Somerset Maugham Award winning writer Akeem Balogun, this interactive event features three short speculative narratives projected around visitors, so that they become enveloped in the story-telling.

Make sure to keep up to date with Off the Shelf via their website https://offtheshelf.org.uk/ or on Instagram @offtheshelffestival, and Twitter @otsfestival. This year’s festival is sure to be an unmissable event!

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...