Click Chemistry Scientists receive Nobel Prizes

US scientist Carolyn Bertozzi almost stopped breathing when she was informed that her discovery in cell-linking chemistry would be awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Being the eighth woman in human history, this is an even more breath-taking accomplishment.

Professor Barry Sharpless, winner of the 2002 Nobel Prize for chemistry, and Danish Professor Morten Meldad, were just as blown away when they were informed that they had also won the Nobel Prize. Separately, these three scientists’ work came together in a mosaic that could have the potential to transform modern medicine, with promising aspects regarding cancer treatments.

The foundations they put in place to navigate the newfound field of “click chemistry” are what Professor Bertozzi was able to manipulate and morph to be used for living cells.

Image credits: Sitox on Unsplash

According to the BBC, click chemistry functions on the attachment of molecules due to bioconjugation which is the formation of a strong bond between two molecules. These molecules clicked together via mechanisms that involved the use of copper ions, making this impossible as copper would kill the living cells.

Professor Bertozzi was able to contribute to Professor Sharpless and Meldal’s work through use of alternative reactive components to achieve molecular attachment. Her discoveries eliminated the need for copper ions, meaning that click chemistry could now be used in living cells, which could open up a door of revolutionary options.

The ability to bind living cells to one another via click chemistry allows for cell targeting and the development of cancer treatments in ways that exclusively target tumor cells, sparing other healthy cells from adverse effects. This functional scientific advancement can also allow the location and identification of molecules we never knew existed.

The mechanisms that have been discovered due to these three scientists’ profound work could have the power to transform modern medicine for those suffering, increasing gratitude for the work of researchers.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Andrew Cowell – SDP

The General Election is fast approaching, and Sheffield's candidates have been busy campaigning for your vote. With political apathy increasing, understanding who you’re voting for...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Sam Chapman, Rejoin EU

Find out the main aim of the Rejoin EU party from Sheffield Hallam candidate Samuel Chapman, and how he will support students.

Sheffield Hallam/Central Candidate Spotlights: Workers Party of Britain

The Workers Party of Britain candidates (Caitlin Hardy in Sheffield Central, and Mo Moui-Tabrizy in Sheffield Hallam) weren’t able to arrange an interview, but...