Alice Fletcher, " />

Single of the Month – October: “Not Another Rockstar” by Maisie Peters

Our second “Single of the Month” for this academic year is Maisie Peters’ latest headbanging hit ‘Not Another Rockstar’.

A song for all those with a debatable track record with men, Maisie Peters’ fourth single in a series of recent fan-focused track drops including ‘Cate’s Brother’, ‘Blonde’ and ‘Good Enough’, is punchy pick at problematic men. 

‘Not Another Rockstar’s upbeat tempo and ear-catching drum beat accompany Peters’ signature quick-witted lyricism that sees her explore the character of her wannabe-rockstar crush with relatable tact: ”They’re tortured and I wouldn’t understand it / Plus they got a lot of unexamined father-son baggage / They don’t wanna talk about it, is that a challenge?”. Maisie goes on to explain how – like many of us with a specific taste in partners – she could ‘pick them in a lineup’ even with her eyes shut. Poking fun at her own flawed track record in relationships with her anthemic chorus and even the sound of a pen against paper (almost definitely a Taylor Swift influence) when she ‘signs up’ to this man and his red flags, it’s evident the true rockstar here is none other than Maisie Peters.  

With the production value and lyricism of Peters’ singles exceeding expectations every time, we’re excited to see what a future new album could bring. Her diary-entry style of writing, exploring the stages of a relationship with a spin of both vulnerability and feminist power, has solidified Peters as not only a storytelling guru, but, most importantly, one of the girls. 

Fire Service called to Drama Studio as smoke reported

Both South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and South Yorkshire Police have been called to the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on Shearwood Road this...

Pro-Palestine protesters camp outside SU following demonstrations in US universities

Dozens of students and staff members have erected encampment outside the Students’ Union building since May 1 to show solidarity with Palestinians, in the...

Book Review: Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ~ Gregory Maguire

With the splash of the water bucket, the Wicked Witch of the West melted in a shrieking mess in front of Dorothy, aghast at...

Sounds of unity: collaborative open mic night brings together musicians and students

On the 13th March, the Music Department Society and Octagon Records, two University of Sheffield societies, brought together their audiences for a big open...

Touring Production Review: The 39 Steps

When you go to the theatre you never expect what you see to be totally realistic, yet, usually, the characters on stage don’t seem...

University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match.  The team, affectionately known...

Interview: Cluedo 2’s Ellie Leach and Jason Durr with director Mark Bell

For Strictly Come Dancing champion and former Coronation Street actress Ellie Leach and ex Heartbeat and Casualty actor Jason Durr, the chance to play...