Dates for ambulance strike vote ballot announced

Thousands of ambulance workers are set to vote on possible strike action this winter as the GMB Union reveals the dates for the official ballot. 

The proposed strike action, if voted for, could take place any time before Christmas, according to the GMB. The announcement comes as a result of anger and frustration following the NHS Agenda for Change pay award.

The pay rise entitles NHS workers to around a 4% increase; however, this is a “massive real terms pay cut”, according to a GMB spokesperson, with the Bank of England predicting that inflation could reach over 11% by the end of the year.

Rachel Harrison, GMB National Officer, said: “Pay has been systematically slashed for more than ten years and we now face the worst cost of living crush in a generation. 

“Cuts and shortages mean GMB members feel they are unable to deliver safe standards of patient care. Things can’t go on like this – something has to give.”

As a result, a vote will take place in a few weeks to ascertain how many ambulance workers wish to strike. The ballot will open to union members on 24 October and close on 29 November. 

The vote will be open to over 115,000 ambulance workers across the country, working in 11 trusts: London, East of England, East and West Midlands, North East, Yorkshire, North West, South Central, South East Coast, South West, and Wales. 

The Yorkshire Ambulance Service employs more than 7,200 staff members who handle an average of over 3,500 emergency and routine calls per day.

A spokesperson for the Yorkshire Ambulance Service said: “We recognise that staff have the right to voice their emotions in this way, and we are monitoring the situation closely to ensure we continue to provide safe and responsive care for our patients.”

In a similar act, the Royal College of Nursing also announced its intention to take a vote on strike action over pay for its 30,000 members, marking the first ballot in its 106 year history.