University of Sheffield offers up to £3 million financial aid for students

The University of Sheffield is committing up to £3 million to support students facing financial difficulties due to the rising cost of living crisis.

All eligible students can apply for financial support to help cover unpaid placement costs, employability-related costs, graduation costs, IT equipment, living costs, energy costs, and house-hunting costs for students with dependents.

The new cost of living hub aims to bring together information about all of the help available from the University and Students’ Union. This provides details about how you can access financial support and the free facilities and discounts on offer across campus.

In a mass email to students, Vice Chancellor Professor Koen Lamberts said: “We know that the rising cost of living is a concern for many. The University is dedicated to supporting you, and we intend to work with your Students’ Union to develop additional support measures.” 

The email shared updates including increases to PGR students’ stipend by 10%, and a £150 participation grant to cover extracurricular activities.

Local History Walk by Global Campus

The University’s Global Campus programme provides free events for all students including dance sessions, walks, and arts and crafts, with opportunities to make friends and socialise in warm spaces. To find up-to-date events, follow SheffGlobal on Instagram and Facebook.

If you live in any university accommodation (Ranmoor, Endcliffe, and Allen Court) a dedicated team of Residence Life mentors and community organizers host events daily ranging from Archery, International dinner nights and Zumba sessions. 

Weekly Global Cafe event held on Thursdays by Global Campus

The University is freezing all 2021/22 pricing in all their cafes and bars across campus and in the residences until the end of July 2023. The Students’ Union also has a range of offers and discounts across its food and drink outlets.

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...