Is leprosy the next step to higher life expectancy?

Leprosy bacteria’s novel liver-regenerating properties could “replace transplantation” and be the next step to higher life expectancy, experts say. A team of researchers from the University of Edinburgh working with the US Department of Health and Human Services in Louisiana, found the parasite stimulated the liver’s innate ability to regenerate, resulting in a healthy and functional organ.

The phenomenon works through the bacteria’s ability to perform ‘biological alchemy’, the process through which it transforms certain types of bodily tissues into fully functional others. The researchers tested this process by infecting 57 armadillos, the only other known host for the parasite. They then compared the differences between the livers of those successfully infected, healthy armadillos and those resistant to the infection.

The results showed the infected animals developed perfectly healthy and unharmed livers, containing the same blood vessels and bile ducts necessary for the organ’s function.

Mycobacterium leprae, the bacterium responsible for leprosy, is especially resilient, dating back 4,000 years according to evidence from a human skeleton uncovered in India in 2009.The disease affects the nerves, skin, eyes and lining of the nose of those infected, and is still relatively prevalent today, registering 140,546 new cases in 2021 alone, mainly in African and South-East-Asia regions.

Professor Anura Rambukkana, the study’s lead researcher from the University of Edinburgh’s Centre for Regenerative Medicine, said: “The dream is to use the same bacterial strategy, to use the ingenuity of bacteria to generate new medicines for regeneration and repair.”Experts hope this discovery could mark a massive increase in quality of life and life expectancy, perhaps becoming a normal part of everyday life.

Dr Zania Stamataki, an associate professor at the Centre for Liver and Gastrointestinal Research at the University of Birmingham, said: “This is exciting research and unusual in the fact that it shows liver growth in the absence of liver injury. Nevertheless, researchers remain sceptical and cautious Dr Darius Widera, an associate professor in Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine at the University of Reading said: “ [T]he research has been done using armadillos as model animals, it is unclear if and how these promising results can translate to the biology of the human liver.”

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....

Dance Society named Society of the Year

The University of Sheffield Dance Society has been crowned as Society of the 2023/24 academic year at the annual Activities Awards, which took place...

BAME Students Part Time Officer questioned over lack of work since taking over role

Criticism has been raised over Part Time BAME Students Officer Ahmad Waris’ perceived lack of work since his time in office.  Speaking to Forge Press...

Opinion: Should centre stage be a place for protest?

Theatres have long been places of public expression and discourse, and never has this been clearer than it is now. Lots of new plays...